I am poor. I’ve accepted it. I’ve embraced it. Because of this truth, I have minimal cooking utensils & appliances. So when my mother & step father offered their old cast iron skillet I practically fainted.
Do you know how much can be done with a cast iron skillet?!?! Neither do I because I’ve never had one, but I’ve heard excellent things.
I instantly began trolling the internet for a #nomeat skillet dish that was hearty, healthy & uber satisfying. I came across several deconstructed enchilada recipes. How intriguing.
The original I found calls for butternut squash but this girl loves to carb o-load so I subbed for sweet potatoes. It was spicy, sweet, warm and felt like the perfect winter comfort food. Even though it’s 90 degrees out and I am literally close to melting.
Definitely will make & gorge on again.
Made enough for 2 gals. Would probably feed 4 less hungry people.
Time: 30 minutes
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2-3 medium sweet potatoes, peeled + diced
- 1 can of green chiles, diced
- 1 can of black beans, rinsed + drained
- 8 yellow corn tortillas, ripped into strips
- 1 can of red enchilada sauce
- 2 cups of mexican cheese, (less if you’re not a dairy gluten like muah)
- 1 tbsp. of sriracha sauce
- 1 tsp. of cumin
- 1 tsp. of chili powder
- S+P to taste
- Diced green onions to make pretty (I skipped)
- Heat olive oil in cast iron skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add onion + garlic and cook until fragrant
- Add sweet potatoes + chiles + cumin + chili powder + sriracha. Season with S+P. Cook until potatoes are tender. About 10 minutes.
- Add black beans + corn tortillas strips + enchilada sauce. Stir.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and add 1 cup of cheese. Stir & simmer.
- Turn on oven broiler. Sprinkle on remaining cup of cheese and place in broiler for 3-5 minutes. Cheese will be melted and tortillas golden.
- Remove from heat & serve immediately.
- Enjoy the gorgefest.