I haven’t lived with my mother since 2009 – my senior year of high school and the first semester of college. A transition, indeed, but I am not complaining because I came home from work to folded laundry. NOOWWWWWW I remember why people live at home.
Truth is, I’m grateful to be living rent free (minus the food I buy to make DELICIOUS MEALS FOR HER & HER HUSBAND). I am going to relish these last few months home before the big move. However, Susan has a rather simple palate. Pasta & veggies are her staple. What am I talking about those are mine, too.
Flipping through her stack of Southern Living magazines, I stumbled upon a penne with green beans and tomatoes. Ding ding! A meal for the masses! Paired with a lemon-shallot vinaigrette. K I’ll eat it.
My first night back in the kitchen (a tremendously larger and cleaner one than I am used to) felt so tremendous. Susan was just happy I contributed for once in my life.
Time: 30 minutes (prep + cooking)
Serves: 4 as a main, 8 as a side
- 16 oz. of whole wheat penne
- 8 oz. haricots verts (thin green beans), cut into bite size pieces
- 1 pt. grape tomatoes, halved
- 1/4 cup dill, chopped
- 3/4 cup of lemon-shallot vinaigrette
- S+P, to taste
- 1/2 lemon juice
- 1 shallot, minced
- 1 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup flat-leaf parsley, minced
- 1 tbsp. honey
- 1 tbsp. Dijon mustard
- Parmigiano-Reggiano, to taste
- S+P, to taste
- Stir lemon juice + shallot in a bowl, let stand 3-5 minutes
- Whisk in olive oil + parsley + honey + Dijon mustard + S+P
- Cover and refrigerate
- Cook pasta according to package directions
- Add green beans during the last 2 minutes
- Drain & rinse pasta under cold running water, drain again
- Toss pasta mixture + tomatoes + vinaigrette + dill + S+P, stir to combine
- Top with parm-reg & serve with crusty, garlicky, cheesy bread
Recipe adapted from: Southern Living Magazine
3 thoughts on “Cool Summer Penne”
I love pasta 🙂
Enjoy Pasta and basil clam sauce
Yum! Right up my alley.
Hey Rachel, was going through your blog and really liked the pizza, I too love Italian food..
Try Spinach-Cheese Lasagna