It’s Garrett’s birthday! The only occasion that I will allow myself to eat this much meat – chicken AND ham?! Marriage is compromise, people.
Pre-paleo pandemic of 2014, Garrett ordered chicken cordon bleu almost everywhere we went.
I wanted to treat him AND break his diet. I wish I was more supportive, I really do.
The man got these cheesy bad boys AND I baked him cakies (yes, cakies). Like, used a hand mixer and everything.
However, I did forget birthday candles so he made his wish on a holiday scented Glade one.
Time: 35 minutes (prep + cooking)
Serves: 2-4 depending on how normal your stomach is
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut in half
- 4 slices of ham, cut in half
- 8 slices of Swiss cheese
- 1/2 cup of Italian seasoned breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup of grated parmesan cheese
- 2 egg whites
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tbsp. of water
- S+P, to taste
- 1 tbsp. of olive oil
- Preheat oven to 450 and line a baking sheet with foil or parchment paper (clean up will be much easier)
- Wash and pat dry chicken
- Lay chicken on cutting board and place plastic wrap on top
- Lightly pound the chicken until thin enough for easy rolling
- Remove plastic and lay a slice of ham and a slice of cheese on each
- Roll to the best of your abilities & leave seam down
- Sprinkle top with S+P
- In one bowl, combine eggs + water to make an egg wash
- In another bowl, combine breadcrumbs + cheese
- Dredge each chicken in both and lay on baking sheet
- Drizzle chicken with olive oil and bake for 25 minutes or until chicken is cooked through
- Serve over roasted asparagus or whatever veggie your heart desires!
Adapted from: http://www.skinnytaste.com/2009/03/chicken-cordon-bleu.html