Ain’t nothing sexy about a casserole. We can’t deny the comfort they provide, but they really need to work on their reputation…
I just imagine some sort of chili frito mess when the word casserole is thrown around.
Like, you ask me what’s for dinner & I tell you a casserole… Are you jazzed or what?!
That’s why I’ve taken the liberty to call them “bakes” instead of the dreaded casserole. Genius!
But still just as effing delicious.
Time: 50 minutes (prep + cooking) | Serves: 4
- 1.5 cups of barley
- 5 links of chicken sausage (sun-dried tomato flavor here), cut in chunks
- 1 tbsp. of olive oil
- 1 tbsp. of garlic, minced
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 red pepper, diced
- 1.5 cups of tomato sauce
- 1.5 cups of mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup of grape tomatoes, halved
- 2 tbsp. of basil
- 2 tbsp. of italian breadcrumbs
- 1 tsp. of crushed red pepper
- S+P, to taste
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Cook barley according to package directions, drain & set aside
- Heat olive oil in a skillet over medium heat
- Add garlic + onion, cook until fragrant
- Add red pepper, cook until soft
- Add chicken sausage + S+P, heat through
- Add barley + tomato sauce + 1 cup of cheese + 1 tbsp. of basil + crushed red pepper + S+P, stir to combine
- Layer barley + sausage mix into a greased baking dish
- Add tomatoes, cover + bake for 25 minutes
- Uncover and add remaining cheese + breadcrumbs, bake for another 10 minutes or until cheese is melted and golden brown
- Top with remaining basil + dive in!
One thought on “Barley + Chicken Sausage Bake”
Damn bitch! This is awesome!