I am in the top 10 percentile of most unathletic people on planet earth. I don’t run, I don’t do sports, I don’t sweat unless I’m putting the fitted sheet on the bed – I’m just not built for it. Very puny & bony. Can’t help it. I get it from my mother.
I danced in high school. Wasn’t very good. I have very small toes so balance was an issue. Looked hella good in the skirt, though.
However, I think I have found a physical activity that I MIGHT be good at….. Drumroll… YOGA. Mostly because I don’t have to sweat very much & I get to wear cute tanks.
I am just really good at having my eyes closed for long periods of time, which is, essentially, what yoga is. I’ve also been murdering my tree poses lately.
After class, this yogi (lol) made a vat of Red Beans + Brown Rice & I am pretty sure we have enough leftovers to last us into our 40’s.
Time: 50 minutes (prep + cooking) | Serves: 4-6 (or a small army)
- 2 cans of red kidney beans, drained + rinsed
- 2 cups of brown wild rice
- 2 1/2 cups of vegetable broth
- 1 1/2 lbs. of andouille sausage (chicken sausage used here), cut in chunks
- 1/2 cup of celery, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 3 tbsp. of garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp. of olive oil
- 1 tsp. of crushed red pepper
- 1/2 tsp. of onion salt
- 2 tbsp. of creole seasoning (give or take depending on your taste)
- S+P, to taste
- Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium heat
- Add sausage and let brown, about 6-7 minutes
- Add celery + onion + green pepper + S+P, cook until onion is soft, about 5 minutes
- Add garlic + cook for another minute
- Add vegetable broth + bring to a boil
- Add rice + beans + crushed red pepper + onion salt + creole seasoning
- Bring down to a simmer + cover
- Cook until rice is tender, about 20 minutes
- Eat for days!