So sports. I have lots of opinions about them – none of which are original. Boring, overrated, sweaty, time-consuming, dull, not enough glitter, the usual.
However, living in the state of Washington has sparked something new in me. I have turned over a new leaf & decided to be a sports fan. For one team & one team only – THE SEAHAWKS.
This state is absolutely nuts about this darn football team. We were grocery shopping yesterday afternoon & the few people not at a watch party were huddled around the TVs in electronics jumping & screaming. I was simply INSPIRED by their insanity!
Does this make me a bandwagon fan? Absolutely. Do I know how much a touchdown is worth? Absolutely not. That’s not the point! It’s all about the heart, man. & by God, I’m going to fake some effing heart for the Hawks.
Serve this risotto to your friends during the SuperBowl & GO HAWKS!!!
^ Do I sound sincere?
Time: 1 hour (prep + cooking) | Serves: 4
- 1 cup of arborio rice
- 1 sweet potato, chunked small
- 1 lb. of bacon, diced
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 tbsp. of garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp. of olive oil
- 1/2 cup of packed spinach
- 1/2 cup of dry white wine
- 5-6 cups of vegetable stock
- 1 tsp. of crushed red pepper
- 1 tsp. of nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp. of paprika
- 1/3 cup of parmesan cheese, grated + more for serving
- 1 tsp. of sage, chopped
- S+P, to taste
- Cook bacon to desired crispiness
- Heat stock in a pot over medium heat
- In a large stock pot, heat olive oil over medium heat
- Add onion + S+P + cook for 2-3 minutes
- Add garlic + cook for another 1-2 minutes
- Turn heat down to low-med + add rice, coating it in the onion
- After letting it toast for about 2 minutes, add the wine
- Once that’s absorbed, slowly begin ladling the stock, letting it absorb before the next ladle full, stir constantly
- While risotto is cooking, add sweet potato chunks to a microwave safe bowl + microwave on high for 3-4 minutes
- Remove the sweet potato + mash it
- Once risotto is almost done, fold in sweet potato + S+P + nutmeg + paprika + red pepper
- Add cheese + spinach + more S+P
- Fold in the bacon
- Serve with extra cheese + enjoy your last meal because you will never want to eat another thing after having this decadence