I’ve mentioned Cheryl before. My soulmate of a BFF who used to love bacon & hot wings more than a 40 year old man. I mean this lovingly.
Before she became a vegetarian, there was one very important meat her taste buds never touched – my one true love, chorizo. She realizes the error of her ways. So we came up with this game plan.
When my sweet Cheryl is on her death bed, taking her final breaths, I will be by her side. She will be in a floral, grandma-esque nightgown (her favorite) & I in a black suit (for dramatic effect).
I will sit by her bed & hold her hand. She will look at me & whisper, “It’s time.” That’s when I ring the small, gold bell on her nightstand. In comes Chives (the butler) with a silver platter. I lift off the cover & there is a sizzling plate of perfectly cooked chorizo. I will spoon-feed her as many bites as her frail body can handle. She will thank me before her eyes close for good.
So we’re a bit morbid, but what kind of friend would I be if I let her go her entire life without one of these?!
Time: 1 hour (prep + cooking) | Serves: 1 patty melt
- 8-9 oz. of pork chorizo
- 1 onion, sliced
- 2 pieces of sourdough bread
- 1 tsp. of garlic salt
- 1 tsp. of onion salt
- 1/2 tsp. of crushed red pepper
- 1/2 tsp. of cumin
- 1 tsp. of paprika
- 1 tsp. of cilantro, chopped
- 4 slices of pepper jack cheese
- Butter, for bread
- Olive oil
- S+P, to taste
- Heat a tbsp. of olive oil in a large, oven-safe skillet over medium heat
- Add the onion + S+P, turn down the heat to low-med, let cook for 18-20 minutes or until caramelized to your liking, remove onions from pan + set aside
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 400
- In a bowl, combine chorizo + garlic salt + onion salt + crushed red pepper + cumin + paprika + cilantro + S+P
- Heat another tbsp. of olive oil in the same skillet over medium heat
- Form chorizo into a patty + put into pan
- Sear for 5-6 minutes + flip, searing the other side for another 5-6 minutes
- Finish chorizo in the oven for 10-12 minutes
- Remove patty from skillet + heat another tbsp of olive oil in it over medium heat
- Butter two pieces of bread, add one butter side down to the skillet
- Pile on 2 slices of cheese + onions + chorizo + onions + 2 slices of cheese + other piece of bread
- Place a cast iron skillet onto the sandwich to press it
- Flip after 5-6 minutes + place the cast iron skillet down again
- Smash it into your face
19 thoughts on “Chorizo Patty Melt”
OMG!!! This is food-gasmic right here! You really love your friend that “used to love bacon & hot wings more than a 40 year old man
It was ridiculous tasting. & yes I love her so! Enough to share 😉
LikeLiked by 1 person
Good for you! 🙂
By the way, I didn’t make the salad yesterday. I forgot I had a dentist appointment. Didn’t think crunching on a salad was a good way to welcome a new filling. Soon…. very soon….
ALL THE YES. Omg my boyfriend would flip out for that. I think you just got me some brownie points 😉 😉
TOTALLY man approved. He’s gonna love it!!
THIS, I’ll eat………..
You have a heart condition – NO
I’ll hate to see Cheryl go but this dish will make her passing easier to bare. Looks so delicious I thought it was a juicy cheeseburger at first .
Haha Cheryl saw your comment & laughed. No beef up in here.
Lol awesome !
Why thank you!
LikeLiked by 1 person
You made me laugh…Cheryl is lucky to have such a caring friend!
The recipe looks/sounds delicious; my son is going to be so, so grateful to you when I make these 😉
I appreciate it! Yup – the men in your house will most definitely love. Thanks for reading!
OMG – I love chorizo – never imagined it this way. Awesome beyond awesome!
First of all, I love Chorizo and all the goodness it entails… but I burst out laughing envisioning your friend in her floral, grandma-esque nightgown and you in a black suit ringing for Chives, the butler to bring a chorizo patty melt on a silver platter made me burst out laughing (in a good way of course!). Thanks for the chuckle this morning 🙂
Hahaha why thank you! Glad I could brighten your morning! Now make some chorizo & brighten your evening. 🙂 Thanks for reading!
This looks AMAZING…. I heart chorizo.
Looks delish. I’ve never had Chorizo so I think I’ll try this.
Hahahahahaha… this cracked me up 😀