I’ve mentioned Cheryl before. My soulmate of a BFF who used to love bacon & hot wings more than a 40 year old man. I mean this lovingly.
Before she became a vegetarian, there was one very important meat her taste buds never touched – my one true love, chorizo. She realizes the error of her ways. So we came up with this game plan.
When my sweet Cheryl is on her death bed, taking her final breaths, I will be by her side. She will be in a floral, grandma-esque nightgown (her favorite) & I in a black suit (for dramatic effect).
I will sit by her bed & hold her hand. She will look at me & whisper, “It’s time.” That’s when I ring the small, gold bell on her nightstand. In comes Chives (the butler) with a silver platter. I lift off the cover & there is a sizzling plate of perfectly cooked chorizo. I will spoon-feed her as many bites as her frail body can handle. She will thank me before her eyes close for good.
So we’re a bit morbid, but what kind of friend would I be if I let her go her entire life without one of these?!
Time: 1 hour (prep + cooking) | Serves: 1 patty melt
- 8-9 oz. of pork chorizo
- 1 onion, sliced
- 2 pieces of sourdough bread
- 1 tsp. of garlic salt
- 1 tsp. of onion salt
- 1/2 tsp. of crushed red pepper
- 1/2 tsp. of cumin
- 1 tsp. of paprika
- 1 tsp. of cilantro, chopped
- 4 slices of pepper jack cheese
- Butter, for bread
- Olive oil
- S+P, to taste
- Heat a tbsp. of olive oil in a large, oven-safe skillet over medium heat
- Add the onion + S+P, turn down the heat to low-med, let cook for 18-20 minutes or until caramelized to your liking, remove onions from pan + set aside
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 400
- In a bowl, combine chorizo + garlic salt + onion salt + crushed red pepper + cumin + paprika + cilantro + S+P
- Heat another tbsp. of olive oil in the same skillet over medium heat
- Form chorizo into a patty + put into pan
- Sear for 5-6 minutes + flip, searing the other side for another 5-6 minutes
- Finish chorizo in the oven for 10-12 minutes
- Remove patty from skillet + heat another tbsp of olive oil in it over medium heat
- Butter two pieces of bread, add one butter side down to the skillet
- Pile on 2 slices of cheese + onions + chorizo + onions + 2 slices of cheese + other piece of bread
- Place a cast iron skillet onto the sandwich to press it
- Flip after 5-6 minutes + place the cast iron skillet down again
- Smash it into your face