I take my lunch to work every day. 1) I am cheap. 2) I am cheap. I take a pack of fruit snacks, some reduced fat Cheez-its, & a PB&J every single day. I’m a kindergartener.
I’ve decided to turn over a new leaf & spice up my mid-day meal. I am JUICING, people! I should probably do this at breakfast instead but I’m not willing to give up my bagel because I consider it my daily bread & God would be sad, I think.
There’s a great little vegetarian restaurant + juice bar close to work. A coworker took me the other day & as soon as I walked in I swear doves were flying around & cherubs were playing harps in the corners.
This is MY place. MY people. Finally. So twice a week I am going to eat my lunch in liquid form (shout out to my geriatric homies). I feel so #full & #fit afterwards my lil belly is loving me.
It also helps counteract the mass quantities of carbs I put in my body in the evening.
Time: 30 minutes (prep + cooking) | Serves: 12 dough balls
- 1 pie pastry
- 1 can of black beans, rinsed + drained
- 1 can of corn, drained
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 jalapeno, diced
- 1 tsp. of cumin
- 1 tsp. of sriracha
- 1 tbsp. of olive oil
- 1 cup of spicy cheese, shredded
- S+P, to taste
- Brown rice, for serving
- Cilantro for serving
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees
- In a bowl, combine black beans + corn + onion + jalapeno + cumin + sriracha + S+P
- Flour a cutting board & lay out pie pastry bits
- In your hands, mold 1 tbsp. of bean filling + 1 tsp. of cheese + a bit of pie pasty into a ball
- Lay on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet, repeat
- Drizzle with olive oil
- Cook for 15 minutes or until golden brown
- Serve over brown rice with cilantro + your favie sauce
- Put a couple under your head + go to sleep on your lil dough pillows
Truth time: these were supposed to be empanadas but my pie pastry broke into a million pieces so IMPROVISATION, PEOPLE. Love me.