Every house has a theme. Ours is, how you say, Goodwill chic.
A hodgepodge of items we’ve collected over the years with the good intention of one day painting to look like that furniture from Pinterest. Instead, it sits, not matching any of the actual nice crap we’ve acquired & just making me sad.
So after weeks of negotiating & begging him to stop buying workout accoutrements, I convinced him to “browse” at a furniture store. A real store with salesmen following you around the place & repeating today’s discounts 18 times. Praise Jesus.
I’m quiet, not too eager – letting Garr think he’s in control of the situation. I lead him to the dining room tables. I show him one I like. He’s unimpressed, keeps meandering. He stops. Stares. & then, “I like this one.”
….Don’t react, Rachel. Play. It. Kewl. “Oh, yes, that’s nice. I like it.”
“Yeah, it’s modern & simple & kind of industrial. Not overwhelming. You want it?”
Wtf. That easy??? I wanted a little cat & mouse here, for crying out loud. “Yes, dear, wrap it up.”
& just like that, we made our first, real adult purchase. Can’t wait to ruin it somehow!!!!!!
Time: 1 hour 30 minutes | Serves: 12 stacks
- 1 eggplant, sliced into 12 even slices
- 1 cup of panko breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup of parmesan cheese
- 1 tsp. of oregano
- 1 tsp. of dried basil
- 1 egg
- 1 tbsp. of water
- 3 tomatoes off the vine, sliced thin
- 12 slices of fresh mozzarella
- 12 basil leaves
- 1/4 cup of balsamic vinegar
- S+P, to taste
- 1 tbsp. of olive oil
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- Add eggplant slices to a colander + add salt, let drain for 30 minutes
- In a bowl combine water + egg
- In another, add panko + parmesan + oregano + dried basil + S+P
- Dredge eggplant rounds in egg + panko + arrange on a lined baking sheet (you’ll fill two baking sheets)
- Add to oven baking for 40 minutes, flipping once halfway through
- Meanwhile, add balsamic vinegar to a small saucepan + reduce over low heat for 4-5 minutes, remove from heat
- Once eggplant are done, remove from oven
- Layer with tomato slice + mozzarella + pepper + add back to oven, letting cheese melt for 4-5 minutes
- Remove from oven + serve with a basil leaf + some balsamic reduction
- Place a stack over each eye + let them soak into your soul