I don’t know how it happened or where along the way I took a wrong turn, but somehow I ended up at the county fair this weekend.
I wouldn’t consider myself a carnival type of gal. Ferris wheels give me extreme anxiety unless Ryan Gosling is hanging off of one. But this fair was surprisingly red neck & enjoyable!
We went to partake in a beer & cider tasting. (Lure us with alcohol & we will blindly follow you anywhere.) But there were so many other activities to enjoy! I even participated in the petting zoo portion of the evening. Like, I touched a horse named Wasabi & met a llama named Chewie. Then I got a little jealous because I hate realizing that there are other people out there who are good at naming animals, too.
And it took every measly ounce of strength I had to deny myself a funnel cake. I haven’t had one in exactly 2 years and 3 months. I know this because I remember the exact time & place of every funnel cake I’ve ever had. It’s an experience to me. But the last time we met, I vowed to never look at one again. Why? Heart disease & obesity, obviously. But I’d like one of these on my deathbed for anyone keeping score at home.
Next year I’m not leaving until Garrett has won me a giant stuffed animal I have no use for.
Time: 45 minutes (prep + cooking) | Serves: 6 burgers
- 1 lb. of ground chicken
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 tbsp. of garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup of parmesan cheese, shredded + more for serving
- 1/4 cup of marinara sauce + more for serving
- 1/4 cup of panko breadcrumbs
- 1 tbsp. of oregano
- 1 tsp. of crushed red pepper
- 1 tsp. of italian seasoning
- Ciabatta rolls, toasted
- Basil, for serving
- 1 tbsp. of olive oil
- S+P, to taste
- Heat olive oil in a skillet over medium heat
- Add onion + S+P, cook for 3-4 minutes
- Add garlic + cook another minute
- Pour onion mix into a large bowl + let cool for a few minutes
- Add ground chicken + parmesan + marinara + panko + oregano + crushed red pepper + italian seasoning + S+P, mix well
- While a grill is heating up, form chicken into 6 patties
- Grill on each side for 10 minutes
- Add a patty to a toasted bun + top with marinara + parmesan + basil
- Serve hot
- It’s ok if you accidentally make soft groans while eating this
Idea came from this month’s Cooking Light, but I can’t find it online so take my word for it!