What was your main focus in the 7th grade?
Personally, I was trying to grow breasts. I was NOT thinking about my future career as a culinary mastermind like these tweens on Chopped last night.
This one little boy contestant is hoping to be a 5-star chef & also enjoys fashion design on the side *pans over to his ridiculous sketches of evening gowns*. Technology is advanced enough that I can put in my requests for a future son, right???
I just had no concept of ambition in middle school. Boobs, Academy Award – that’s as far as my feeble mind could take me. I like to think it’s not my fault. My parents probably told me they loved me too much or something. I think they had me convinced that I was the best at every activity that I tried so I just quit everything because I literally couldn’t get better. This is why I wasn’t a child prodigy, mom & dad!!!!!
I also was still eating hotdogs for every meal in the 7th grade, if that tells you anything about my maturity level.
Time: 35 minutes (prep + cooking) | Serves: 9 flautas
- 9 flour tortillas
- 1 ear of corn, off the cob
- 1 can of pinto beans, rinsed + drained
- 1 can of green chiles
- 1 lime
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 tsp. of chili powder
- 1 tsp. of cumin
- 1 tbsp. of garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp. of olive oil
- S+P, to taste
- Salsa, for serving
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- Heat a tbsp. of olive oil in a pan over medium heat
- Add onion + S+P, cook for 3 minutes
- Add chili powder + cumin, cook another minute
- Add garlic, cook another minute + remove from heat
- Meanwhile, combine corn + pintos + green chiles + 1/2 the lime juice + S+P to a large bowl
- Stir in the onions to the corn mix
- Arrange a line of corn mix onto the edge of a tortilla + roll tight
- Repeat + arrange on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet
- Drizzle with remaining olive oil
- Bake for 10 minutes
- Flip flautas + bake for another 10 minutes
- Drizzle with the rest of the lime juice + serve hot with salsa
- I must refrain from giving you a final step because the only ones I can think of at this moment are too dirty for the internet
Idea came from Thug Kitchen – get this cookbook. It’s radical.