I’m so thankful this year.
I’m thankful that I have a roof over my head, food in my belly, clothes on my back, a delicious husband, sweet parents, and a moderately cute face/physique combo.
I appreciate the Thanksgiving holiday in that I appreciate the time I get to reflect on my many blessings from my main homie, JC. I have not, however, ever appreciated the mediocre Thanksgiving cuisine.
I was a picky eater until I was, like, 21 years old. (Something about that year made me more adventurous – idk). Luckily, I’ve grown out of it, but I have never wavered in my disdain for turkey & the trimmings. Cranberry sauce, gravy, green bean casserole, sweet potato casserole, & whatever other heinous casserole you can come up with make my skin crawl. I loaded up my plate with mac & cheese, mashed potatoes, stuffing, & bread. <– Nothing has changed – carbs & I have always been close.
Time: 50 minutes (prep + cooking) | Serves: 4-5 as a side
- 2 medium heads of broccoli, rinsed + trimmed into florets
- 1 medium head of cauliflower, rinsed + trimmed into florets
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 tbsp. of butter
- 1 tbsp. of whole wheat flour
- 1 cup of skim milk
- 3 cups of pepper-jack cheese
- 1 tsp. of cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp. of crushed red pepper
- 2 tbsp. of panko breadcrumbs
- S+P, to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- In a large microwave safe bowl, add broccoli + cauliflower + cover with water
- Microwave for 4-5 minutes or until veggies are almost totally tender (they’ll cook more in the oven)
- In a saucepan over medium heat, melt the butter
- Whisk in flour + cook for one minute
- Whisk in milk + cook for another minute
- Add 2 cups of cheese + stir well
- Add cayenne pepper + crushed red pepper + S+P
- Stir in diced onions
- Arrange broccoli + cauliflower in a baking dish
- Pour cheese sauce over veggies
- Top with remaining cheese + breadcrumbs
- Cook for 30-35 minutes or until cheese is melted + golden brown
- Serve hot
- Rub creamy goodness all over self no one will judge you it’s Thanksgiving