I am a useless, garbage person.
I would have it no other way.
I’m not sure that I have ever contributed less to society than I did this weekend. I spent literally the entire time in doors with the shades drawn. I was essentially a Netflix vampire. I binge-watched an entire season of Parenthood. It just felt like the right thing to do at the time. The right amount of family love and drama. Perfect weekend watching!!!
WRONG-O. That show sends me in a tail-spin every daggum time. I can (& do) cry at some point during every episode. My relaxing weekend of solace and zen turned into a cluster of anxiety and feelings! How did this happen? How did I let Saturday and Sunday go by and spend its entirety in a ball of feelings on my couch???
Oh, because I’m a garbage person who loves her Apple TV that’s how.
Time: 6 hours (prep + cooking) | Serves: 4-6
- 1 can of kidney beans, rinsed + drained
- 1 can of hot chili beans (try to find some in a sauce + use all that goodness in this)
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 1 jalapeno, diced
- 2 stalks of celery, chopped
- 4 cups of vegetable broth
- 2 tsp. of paprika
- 1 tsp of chili powder
- 1 tsp. of oregano
- 4 tbsp. of garlic, minced
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 cups of almost totally cooked brown rice
- S+P, to taste
- Cilantro, for serving
- Combine beans + onion + pepper + jalapeno + celery + vegetable broth + paprika + chili powder + oregano + garlic + bay leaf + S+P in a crockpot
- Cook on low for 4 hours
- Stir in rice + S+P, cook another hour
- Serve hot with cilantro
- Put on mittens + hat + parka + curl up in coziest blanket near you with entire crockpot in hands + just go for it
9 thoughts on “Red Beans + Rice”
Garbage Woman, this looks so yummy! 😉
Teehee thank you, friend!
LikeLiked by 1 person
I can totally relate! I spent my Saturday and Sunday just catching up on the virtual world and eating, sleeping, then eating again. But then again, I feel well-rested so no regrets, I guess. Your pictures are gorgeous! 🙂
The exact type of weekend we all need sometimes! Thank you so much!
LikeLiked by 1 person
Bean & Rice are the best combo ! So much plantbased protein & a full amino acid profile !
I think so, too! Just so hearty & warm
Lovely blog and recipes!! I love your version of red beans and rice! Looks gorgeous 🙂 And I do like your sense of humor 🙂
Please visit my blog https://heathyindiankitchen.wordpress.com
Please do click on the follow button if you like my stuff.