Garrett took me to a fancy restaurant this weekend.
Like, the kind where they let me sip my $8 Riesling before committing to a full glass. Posh!
I tried to teach G the art of dinner lingering. Like, taking our time in between courses while discussing art and politics. Unfortunately, we have no interest in either of these subjects and I smeared butter all over the table so it kind of ruined the vision.
The highlight of the evening came when the waitress brought the dessert menus. My heart was set on this cookie/brownie/ice cream delight. My husband, on the other hand, has this newfound disdain for refined sugar so he was all, “Nah let’s save room for late night french fries.” I respected his logic and appreciated him speaking my true love language, but I couldn’t let him know this just yet. I closed the menu and slid it over to him. When the waitress came up to the table, I said, “No, I don’t think he wants any……….” & I sheepishly looked away. She kind of glared at him & walked away. G was all, “OMG she thinks I think you’re fat!!!!!!!!!!!!!!”
Well, feed me bread, appetizers, dinner, dessert and late night french fries & I won’t have to play tricks on you.
Time: 30 minutes (prep + cooking) | Serves: 2
- 2 green tomatoes, rinsed + sliced thin
- 2-3 red tomatoes, rinsed + sliced thin
- 3-4 oz. of fresh mozzarella, crumbled
- 2 tbsp. of fresh basil, chiffonaded
- 1/2 cup of balsamic vinaigrette
- S+P, to taste
- Heat balsamic vinaigrette in a sauce pan over low-medium heat
- Reduce for 4-5 minutes
- Arrange tomatoes in an even layer on a plate
- Sprinkle with mozzarella + basil + S+P
- Drizzle with some balsamic reduction
- Serve cool
- Slap leftover tomatoes on face for a deep cleansing mask