Halloween is the most stressful of holidays.
The pressure is just unbelievable!
To come up with a costume that is both witty and cute while also being understated and uber cool is almost too much responsibility to bear.
Keep in mind that my options are extra limited because I do not craft or DIY. I’m not heading up to the local Hobby Lobby & picking up some felt to whittle myself a costume – no sir. This has to be done with common household items and some textiles I can pull out of my closet. So far, I’ve thought of being a model or a Bachelorette contestant. Someone save me from myself.
Perhaps I’ll just dig out the hotdog costume of 2010.
Time: 2 hours (prep + cooking) | Serves: 4-6
- 6 cans of cannellini beans, rinsed + drained
- 1 lb. of vegan spicy sausage (Field Roast is my favie!!)
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 carrot, rinsed + chopped
- 2 celery stalks, rinsed + chopped
- 3 tbsp. of garlic, minced
- 4 cups of vegetable stock
- 2 tbsp. of lemon juice
- 1 tsp. of italian seasoning
- 1 tsp. of crushed red pepper
- S+P, to taste
- 2 tbsp. of olive oil
- 1 tbsp. of vegan butter
- 2 tbsp. of cilantro
- Heat 1 tbsp. of olive oil in a large pot over medium heat
- Add sausage + let crisp, 6-7 minutes (you typically don’t have to cook this sausage, but I like it crisp!!)
- Remove from the pot
- Add the other tbsp. of olive oil to the pot + the butter
- Once melted, add onion + S+P, cook 2-3 minutes
- Add celery + carrot + S+P, cook another 2-3 minutes
- Add garlic, cook another minute
- Add the beans + half of the sausage + italian seasoning + crushed red pepper + S+P
- Add hot vegetable stock into pot + stir + cover
- Let simmer for 45 minutes, stirring occasionally + leaving the lid partially on
- After 45 minutes, add the remaining sausage + lemon juice + cilantro
- Serve hot
- Eat 2 bowls + feel innards start to physically warm up + become coated in stew
Veganized from this recipe!