My birthday was grand, you mongrels, thanks for asking.
I forgive you for forgetting.
It’s tough sharing a birthday with Pi day. People’s priorities become out of whack when cobbler is involved.
It was a nice birthday. I was awoken by Garr jumping on me at 4 a.m. singing “Happy Birthday” at the top of his lungs directly into my right ear canal. In the afternoon, I went to the dermatologist. The nurse told me happy birthday, it was special. Then, Garr surprised me and took me to eat mexican food where I ate a cheese quesadilla, rice, beans and a bowl of chips and salsa. I ended the night swimming in Reese’s eggs and catching up on The Bachelor finale. 26 is going to be A-OK.
Except for the fact I am closer to 30 than I am to 20 and that simply can’t be because I still don’t know how basic life things work like how to change my oil and omg when was my last oil change I have to go.
Time: 1 hour (prep + cooking) | Serves: 3-4 burritos
- 2 can of pinto beans, rinsed + drained
- 1/2 lb. of brussels sprouts, quartered
- 2 cups of spanish rice, cooked
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 6 oz. can of tomato paste
- 4 chipotle peppers in adobo with some sauce
- 1/4 cup of vegetable broth
- 2 tbsp. of orange juice
- 2 tbsp. of brown sugar
- 1 tbsp. of maple syrup
- 1 tsp. of soy sauce
- 2 tbsp. of garlic, minced
- S+P, to taste
- Tortillas, for serving
- Salsa verde, for serving
- Avocado, for serving
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees
- Arrange brussels on a lined baking sheet + drizzle with olive oil + S+P
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, stirring once
- Meanwhile, in a food processor, combine onion + tomato paste + chipotle peppers + sauce + broth + OJ + brown sugar + maple syrup + soy sauce + garlic + S+P
- Blend until smooth
- Heat in a sauce pan over medium heat + add beans, cook for 10 minutes
- Lay a tortilla flat + add beans + brussels + rice + salsa verde, roll it up + cut in half
- Serve hot
- Face plant into burrito + ask sweetie to tell you you’re pretty
Beans & burrito idea from Thug Kitchen, but I can’t find a link online, so just trust me!!!!!