I’m keeping a happy journal.
When I look around a room or outside or do a thing and I feel happy inside, I write down the thing in the journal.
I’m hoping this will improve my mood when I’m in the funkiest of funks and find fault in all the things. Like, maybe I’ll be more inclined to flip through the happy journal when I’m feeling sorry for myself for not having nice dish towels instead of spiraling down the hole of WILL I EVER HAVE NICE THINGS?!
I’ve filled 5 pages worth of happy things so far, and I honestly did not know I had that much sunshine in me. The first entry was pencils and my latest is the smell of gasoline, so anything goes up in this journal. I did make the mistake of letting Garrett flip through it, though, and halfway down page 1 he looked at me funny and asked, “What is wrong with you……..??” I can’t help that sketchy chain restaurants make me happy and are the only places I feel truly at home.
Not having to leave the house was also an entry he was concerned about.
Time: 25 minutes (prep + cooking) | Serves: 4
- 2 cups of strawberries, washed, trimmed + halved
- 1 cup of cherry tomatoes, washed + halved
- 1/2 of an avocado, sliced thin
- 2 tbsp. of fresh basil, chopped
- 4 cups of packed arugula
- 1/4 cup of walnuts, chopped
- 1/3 cup of balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbsp. of olive oil
- S+P, to taste
- Heat vinegar in a sauce pan over low-med heat and reduce for 8-10 minutes
- Meanwhile, toast walnuts in a dry pan over low-med heat for 2-3 minutes, stir often + don’t burn!
- Combine strawberries + tomatoes + avocado + basil + arugula + toasted walnuts + olive oil + S+P
- Drizzle with balsamic reduction + serve immediately
- Close eyes + pretend you are on a tropical island being fanned by the celebrity of your choosing + nom nom on this salad
Adapted from my girl here!