I am weak.
I had a cheese quesadilla and rice and beans smothered in cheese this weekend.
Then I had 8 slices of a very cheesy pizza.
I AM THE WORST VEGAN EVER. I feel like I need a scarlet D on my shirt for all of the dairy I have consumed recently. Everywhere I turn, it’s just…cheese. You can’t go to a Mexican restaurant and avoid it! You can’t go to my local, sketchy pizza joint where all of the employees yell at each other and get a pizza without cheese! I cannot escape it! I really feel like it’s not my fault, I’m a product of my environment.
I also accidentally drank a latte with skim milk so I’m just counting August as a loss.
Time: 1 hour (prep + cooking) | Serves: 2 quesadillas
- 1 package of tempeh, cut into cubes
- 1 cup of arugula, packed
- 1 onion, sliced thin
- 1/4 cup of cilantro, chopped
- Some jalapenos if you are a masochist
- 4 whole wheat burrito-size tortillas
- 2/3 cup of hot sauce
- 1/2 cup of olive oil + 4 tbsp.
- 1 1/2 tbsp. of white vinegar
- 1/2 tsp. of Worcestershire
- 1 tbsp. of smoked paprika
- 1 tsp. of cayenne pepper
- 1/2 tsp. of garlic powder
- S+P, to taste
- In a food processor, combine hot sauce + 1/2 cup of olive oil + white vinegar + Worcestershire + paprika + cayenne + garlic + S+P, pulse until well-combined
- Pour into a sauce pan + heat over low-medium heat until it starts to bubble, remove from heat
- Meanwhile, heat a tbsp. of olive oil in a skillet over medium
- Add onion + S+P, let caramelize for 6-7 minutes, set aside
- In the same skillet, heat another tbsp. of olive oil + add tempeh + cook for 4-5 minutes letting them get a lil crispy
- Once crispy, toss tempeh in the buffalo sauce
- To prepare the quesadillas, heat another tbsp. of olive oil in the same skillet over medium heat
- Lay down a tortilla + top with 1/2 the onion + 1/2 the arugula + 1/2 the tempeh + 1/2 the cilantro + top with another tortilla, cook for 3 minutes, flip + cook another 1-2 minutes
- Repeat with remaining ingredients
- Serve hot with extra cilantro
- Fold over quesadilla triangle + tilt head back + let quesadilla contents slide down gullet
Buffalo sauce adapted from here!