With the turn of the year, comes the turning of a new leaf.
I’m going vegan. Without cheating.
I’ve been 90% vegan since July with the OCCASIONAL slip. I’m a weak, worthless wimp, I know it. But THIS IS IT. My last hoorah was New Year’s Eve.
I started out the day on a positive note, scraping some decadent-looking pecorino from my brunch. Then I arrived at Century Link Field to watch my baby Seahawks get they butts whooped and my emotions and hunger pangs were running rampant. My husband could see my dismay. Toward the end of 2nd quarter, up to the nosebleed section my knight walks with a piping hot Papa John’s. This is why I married him. Once I stuff my face, I have the energy to talk smack to the opposing team’s fan sitting next to me. I needed to cool off so I took a bathroom break. Then, I spy the Papa’s with my very own eyes. Mini Rachel angel and mini Rachel devil appear on my shoulder. Whose advice do you think I took?
After my second personal pan pizza in 1 hour, I have decided I’m a sick, sick person.
Time: 1 1/2 hours (prep + cooking) | Serves: 4 sammies
- 1 eggplant, peeled + sliced thin
- 3 roma tomatoes, washed + sliced 1/2 inch thick
- 1 small onion, sliced thin
- 1 cup of basil leaves
- 1 tbsp. of nutritional yeast
- 1 tbsp. of garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup of walnuts
- 1 cup of oats, finely ground
- 2 tbsp. of flax meal
- 1 cup of olive oil
- Toasted ciabatta rolls, for serving
- 1/2 cup of your favie marinara sauce
- 1 tsp. of crushed red pepper
- S+P, to taste
- Preheat oven to 375
- Arrange eggplant slices in a colander + sprinkle with salt + let drain for 30 minutes
- Meanwhile, combine oats + flax + crushed red pepper + S+P in a bowl
- Pat dry eggplant slices, dredge in oat mix + arrange on lined baking sheet, repeat (I needed to use three cookie sheets) + drizzle eat sheet with 1 tbsp. of olive oil
- Bake for 15 minutes, flip + bake another 15 minutes
- Meanwhile, arrange tomatoes + S+P on a lined baking sheet + drizzle with 1 tbsp. of olive oil + bake for 20 minutes
- In a skillet over low-medium heat, add a tbsp. of olive oil
- Add onion + S+P, let caramelize for 8-10 minutes, stirring often
- Meanwhile, in a food processor, combine basil + nutritional yeast + walnuts + garlic + S+P, while processing drizzle in remaining olive oil
- To serve, spread some marinara on one bun + some pesto on another + add eggplant slices + tomatoes + onion + make a sammie, repeat
- Find machine to shrink self + arrange body in between buns to become one with sammie