Sometimes I surprise myself.
By how little I know about things I should have been taught in middle school.
Exhibit A: Garr and I were watching Planet Earth last night. All sorts of animals were doing all sorts of things. About 18 times, I thought to myself, “Didn’t know penguins did that” or “Wow, who knew goats could do that?” Garr’s favorite was when I made the mistake of thinking out loud, “Huh, I didn’t know bears hung out in snow-covered mountains.”
Then, today’s top news story is the plummeting stock market. I’m listening and I’m like, yes, yes, I’m following. Down = bad; up = good. Simple enough. Then, they start really diving into it… Percentages, points, men in ill-fitting suits running around with little notepads. I find myself thinking, “Do I even know what the stock market really is……….???”
I have other valuable knowledge, though, like TV, some books and vegan foods.
Time: 45 minutes (prep + cooking) | Serves: 3-4 sammies
- 12 slices of ezekiel bread
- 1 1/2 cups of natural PB
- 1 banana, sliced thin
- 1 cup of raspberry preserves
- 1 package of tempeh, sliced in thin strips
- 1 tbsp. of soy sauce
- 3 tbsp. of olive oil
- 1 tbsp. of agave
- 2 tsp. of liquid smoke
- 1 tsp. of hot sauce
- 1 tsp. of cumin
- 1/2 tsp. of chili powder
- S+P, to taste
- Vegan butter, for grilling sammies
- In a bowl, combine soy sauce + 1 tbsp. of olive oil + agave + liquid smoke + hot sauce + cumin + chili powder + some S+P
- Arrange tempeh slices in a dish + pour marinade over, let them sit for 20 minutes
- Heat remaining olive oil in a skillet over medium heat
- Arrange tempeh slices in a single layer, cook for 2-3 minutes, flip + cook another 2 minutes, remove + put on a plate
- To build sammies, spread some softened vegan butter on two slices of bread
- On the unbuttered sides, spread some preserves + on one slice of bread + some PB on another, top PB slice with banana + bacon, put the two together, repeat with remaining sammies
- Heat some butter in a skillet over low-medium heat, grill sammies for 3-4 minutes on each side
- Serve warm
- Put on gloves before handling because the ooey gooey goodness of this melty PB is gonna get all over you
Bacon from here!