Happy International Women’s Day, my comrades!
Honestly, I did not realize the other 364 days of the year are for men, but I will accept any and all excuses to celebrate myself!
I’d like to take the time to share some of the reasons females are the best:
1) We are, like, incredibly empathetic 2) We drop everything and run to be with those we love when they need us 3) We are super duper resilient – like break our hearts, silly boys, and we will come out on the other end more goddess-like ever 4) We are the most beautiful, talented people in the whole world – i.e. Kate Winslet, Adele, my mom, my bff, etc. 5) We have a secret intuition that can sniff out BS accurately 98% of the time 6) We literally expel human life from our bodies.
7) We can go much longer without showering than men can.
Time: 2 hours (prep + cooking) | Serves: 4-6
- 2 cups of brown rice, rinsed + uncooked
- 2 cups of cooked red beans (or two cans, but you should give fresh beans a try sometime!)
- 1 mango, cut in cubes
- 1 cup of coconut milk
- 4 shallots, diced
- 2 tbsp. of ground ginger
- 1 lime
- 1 tsp. of cayenne pepper
- 1 tbsp. of olive oil
- S+P, to taste
- Cilantro, for serving
- Green onion, for serving
- Toasted pepitas, for serving
- Heat oil in a stock pot over medium heat
- Add shallots + S+P, cook for 3-4 minutes
- Add ginger + cook another minute
- Add rice + stir to coat, toast for 2 minutes
- Add coconut milk + 3 cups of water + cayenne pepper + S+P, bring to a simmer
- Reduce heat, cover + cook for about 45 minutes or until the rice is tender and the liquid has absorbed
- When tender, fold in beans + lime juice + lime zest + mango, cook another 4-5 minutes
- Serve hot with cilantro + green onion + pepitas
- Gift a bowl to a friend who is feeling under the weather because it has been proven by me that rice + beans cure 86% of maladies
Recipe adapted from Thug Kitchen!