Yesterday was my birthday.
I don’t want to talk about it.
I just think I’m done with birthdays. They’re kind of similar to New Year’s Eve celebrations – a lot of anticipation and glitter for just like an OK party, ya know?
To combat the birthday hype, I made some very exciting plans to go on a long walk after work, then make a big pot of pasta and top it with avocados because it’s my birthday and I am wild, and finally sit down with some sad television. Topanga and I get about two steps from the house and she does her business. I go to pick it up because I am a good citizen, and I get poop on my bare hands. K I’m done walking. I shake it off (literally) and make my pasta. I cut open not one, but two, TWO avocados to find they were both bad. What kind of a sick joke is this??? Fine, I’ll eat avocado-less pasta, boring, but fine. I watch the finale of This Is Us, have an excellent cry and am prepared for more. I get halfway through A Walk to Remember and it skips. I miss all of the good stuff. I’m forced to end my birthday watching the greatest horror movie of the 1900’s – My Best Friend’s Wedding.
I did, however, start my birthday with a homemade bagel and was reminded I keep getting more impressive with age.
Time: 2 hours (prep + cooking) | Serves: 8 bagels
- 3 1/2 cups of bread flour
- 2 tsp. of active dry yeast
- 1 1/4 cup of warm water
- 1 1/2 tbsp. of sugar
- 1 tsp. of baking soda
- Everything bagel seasoning
- Combine yeast + warm water + sugar in a bowl, let activate for 10 minutes
- Meanwhile, combine flour + a pinch of salt
- Once activated, mix your yeasty water (ew) into flour
- Knead your dough for a solid 5 minutes
- Wrap in a kitchen towel + let rise for 1 hour
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 300 degrees
- Once risen, bring a pot of water to a boil + add pinch of salt + baking soda
- Cut your dough into 8 pieces
- Roll in smooth ball, pat down on flat surface, stick your finger in the middle + lift the bagel through + start to form it into a bagel shape, repeat with all 8 pieces
- Now, two at a time, drop the bagels in the boiling water
- Cook for 3 minutes, flip + cook another 3
- Remove + place on a lined baking sheet
- Top with everything seasoning
- Cook for 25-30 minutes, check + see if they are starting to get golden, might need a few more minutes
- Remove, cool + serve with desired toppings
- Build bagel tower + admire your creation + bulldoze with mouth
Followed this recipe!