The time has come to say goodbye to my beloved Washington.
It seems like just yesterday I was kicking and screaming the entire move to this place.
While I didn’t warm to WA as quickly as you might imagine given that I am so incredibly easy going and adaptable to different environments, I am now deeply in love.
I will miss literally everything about my adopted state. The sights, the smells, the unbelievably laid back people from whom I hoped to learn something from over the last several years…sigh. Most of all, I will miss the sunny, summer weekends spent gallivanting through the cities and partaking of delectable nibbles and libations. This place has taught me so much about the world in which I wish I lived 24/7 – food and drink. I’m, like, so uppity now I barely tolerate chain restaurants and non-local beverages… Barely being the key word as Chili’s is in the my top 10 favorite establishments in the country. I digress. The peeps at Pacific Rim share my love of Washington wines. Their Rieslings are just one example of all of that is good in this state. Though WA still has the gigantic fault line problem to figure out.
Not to worry Washington, I’ve made my husband pinky swear we can retire in a seaside mansion with a perfect view of the mountain.
Time: 1 hour (prep _ cooking) | Serves: 4-6
- 1 package of whole grain linguine
- 1 small head of cauliflower, cut into florets
- 1 can of hearts of palm, drained + cut into lil rounds
- 4 tbsp. of olive oil
- 2 tbsp. of vegan butter
- 4 shallots, minced
- 2 tbsp. of garlic, minced
- 1 cup of Pacific Rim dry riesling
- 1/2 cup of vegetable stock
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 tsp. of crushed red pepper
- S+P, to taste
- Parsley, for serving
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- Arrange cauliflower on a lined baking sheet + drizzle with 1 tbsp of olive oil + some S+P
- Roast 20-25 minutes, stirring once
- Meanwhile, heat 1 tbsp. of olive oil + 1 tbsp. of butter in a skillet over medium heat
- Add hearts of palm rounds + S+P, cooking on each side for 2-3 minutes or until browned to your desire, remove from pan
- Meanwhile, cook linguine to al dente
- Meanwhile x2, heat remaining olive oil + butter in the skillet you cooked the hearts of palm
- Add shallots + S+P, cook 3-4 minutes
- Add garlic, cook another minute
- Add wine, cook another 1-2 minutes
- Add veg stock + crushed red pepper + S+P, cook 3-4 minutes or until reduces a lil and flavors start to get all yummy – taste test to see if you likey, adjust seasoning
- Add lemon juice + a bit of your parsley, cook another minute
- Now add linguine + coat to combine
- Toss with cauliflower + hearts of palm, add a lil S+P and the rest of the lemon juice + parsley
- Serve warm with a glass of cold wine
- Allow me to be your spiritual pasta guide and follow my lead by eating all of this over the course of two dinners, finishing off with a scoop of peanut butter
Adapted from here!