God has truly blessed me.
By shrouding me in a veil of fog making me immune to the horror that is moving.
I’m just calm as a cucumber, man. Nothing has phased me.
Moe was my lead mover. Honestly, as soon as I saw “Moe” stitched on his coveralls, I was like k this is going to be fine my man, Moe, is in charge. Things with Moe just kept getting better and better, truly. Soon enough he was sharing tales from yesteryear and calling me Becky, Becca or Rebecca (when he was feeling formal). I didn’t have the heart to correct him. Even when Moe and his crew broke a bookshelf and took extra long smoke breaks, I didn’t get riled up. Just rolling with the punches, babay!
Now someone punch me in the face because I never want to do this again.
Time: 1 hour (prep + cooking) | Serves: 4-6
- 1 onion, diced
- 4 tbsp. of garlic, minced
- 1 zucchini, chopped
- 1 package of soyrizo
- 2 tbsp. of unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 can of hominy
- 5 cups of vegetable broth
- 1 tbsp. of cumin
- 1 tsp. of oregano
- 1 tsp. of crushed red pepper
- 1 tsp. of agave
- Juice of 1 lime
- 5 dried chiles
- 2 tbsp. of olive oil
- Avocado, for serving
- Cilantro, for serving
- Toast dried chiles in a pot over low-medium heat, stirring often, about 2-3 minutes
- Add these to a bowl of warm water for 20 minutes
- Once rehydrated, remove from water, chop off tops + seeds (unless you like the heat like muah) and chop ’em up
- Add chiles + garlic + water the chiles soaked in to a food processor, pulse until smooth
- Meanwhile, heat 1 tbsp. of olive oil in a skillet over medium heat
- Add soyrizo, cook 5-6 minutes, remove from pan
- Heat remaining olive oil
- Add onion, cook 3-4 minutes
- Add zucchini + hominy + cumin + oregano + crushed red pepper + S+P, cook another 2-3 minutes
- Add in chile garlic sauce, coat veggies in that good stuff
- Add broth, cover + cook for 20 minutes
- Add soyrizo, cook another 5 minutes
- Turn off heat, add agave + lime juice
- Serve warm topped with avocado + cilantro
- Throw away spoon, take bowl of soup in both hands + go to slurp town on this baby
Adapted from Thug Kitchen