Adding “beach people” to the list of things we’re not.
We went for a day trip and spent a total of 1.75 hours on the beach.
Unless you’re under the age of 6 or a professional water sport player, there are just really no beach activities.
I knew the day was doomed when I left my book at home. Literally the ONLY thing a person who does not swim in shark-infested waters can do at the beach is read. In my desperation, I read a war book of Garr’s. The perfect summer, beach read! Beaches are also filled with humans. Just everywhere. Everyone is playing their own music (an overwhelming amount of top 40 country) and little ones are kicking sand in our faces. It didn’t help Garr and I had to share a beach towel. I’m sorry, we lived in WA for the last 4 years, our beach towel needs were limited! Because cuddling was inevitable, Garr woke up with some interesting tan lines.
Post-beach, we spent another 1.75 hours actually doing something productive with our lives which is sampling various vegan eats in a taco joint.
Time: 1 hour (prep + cooking) | Serves: 4-6
- 1 head of cauliflower, cut into florets
- 1 can of chickpeas, drained + rinsed
- 1 white onion, diced
- 2 tbsp. of garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp. of fresh ginger, minced
- 1 can of diced tomatoes
- 2 cups of lite coconut milk
- 2 tbsp. of Thai red curry paste
- 1 tsp. of hot madras curry powder
- 1 tsp. of ground turmeric
- Juice of 1/2 a lime
- 2 tbsp. of cilantro + more for serving
- 3 tbsp. of olive oil
- S+P, to taste
- Naan bread, for serving
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- Arrange cauliflower + chickpeas on individual, lined baking sheets
- Drizzle each with a tbsp. of olive oil + some S+P
- Roast each pan for 20-25 minutes, stirring once, until browned/crisp to your desire
- Meanwhile, heat remaining olive oil in a stock pot over medium heat
- Add onion, cook for 4-5 minutes
- Add garlic + ginger, cook another 2 minutes
- Add curry powder + turmeric + S+P, cook another minute
- Add tomatoes + coconut milk, bring to boil
- Reduce heat, add curry paste, cook 2-3 minutes
- Add roasted cauliflower + chickpeas, cover + simmer 15 minutes
- Turn off heat, add lime juice + cilantro
- Serve warm with naan bread + more cilantro
- Using bread as baseball mitt, pile up as much curry as you can + sling at your sweetie
Adapted from here!