Today was Garrett’s first day at his new job.
For the last two months, he was transitioning to his new role from home. Meaning, he’s been home with me every day for the last two months. Meaning, we’ve been around each other all day every day for the last two months. All day. Every day.
I love this meathead with all of my heart and lifeless soul, but do you know what it’s like to be around a human being that often? It’s not natural, I tell you!
Both of us working from home in a 1,400 square foot house is simply not ideal. We just have different styles. I like slow, acoustic jams for my background music and he prefers blaring hardcore trap songs. I like to read on my lunch break and he likes to have play time with Topanga and throw toys at my face. I like to be quiet and respectful while he is on the phone and he prefers to take out every pot and pan we own and bang them against each other while I am on calls. Needless to say, I anticipated this day with joy and ecstasy until about noon today when I desperately missed his mid-day giggles and toots.
To top it off, he gets all perfect and romantic on me and wakes ME up with breakfast in bed on HIS first day. I truly suck.
Time: 1 hour (prep + cooking) | Serves: 6 burgers
- 1 1/2 cups of green lentils, cooked
- 1 can of pinto beans, rinsed + drained
- 1 medium white onion, diced
- 1/3 cup of walnuts, chopped
- 1/2 cup of cilantro, chopped
- 1 tbsp. of garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp. of chili powder
- 1 tbsp. of cumin
- 1 tsp. of smoked paprika
- 2 avocadoes
- 2 roma tomatoes, diced
- 1 jalapeno, diced
- S+P, to taste
- 2 tbsp. of olive oil
- Buns, for serving
- In a bowl, mash the avo + add some S+P, set aside
- In another bowl, combine tomatoes + 1/4 cup of the onion + jalapeno + 1 tbsp. of cilantro + S+P, set aside
- In a big bowl, combine lentils + pinto beans, combine well, mashing most of it
- Add in walnuts + onion + remaining cilantro + garlic + chili powder + cumin + smoked paprika + S+P, combine well
- Refrigerate for 20-30 minutes
- Heat 1 tbsp. of oil in a skillet over medium heat
- Form mix into 6 patties, place 3 into skillet, cook 4-5 minutes, flip cook another 4 minutes
- Remove from pan
- Add remaining oil + cook remaining patties
- Serve hot on buns with avocado + pico you made
- If you serve on slider buns, it tricks your mind into thinking you can have more and then you will have a happier and bigger belly