I wish I was 13 years old again and my greatest joy in life was learning a new cheat code in The Sims.
I wasn’t a cool 13-year-old, OK?
If I could calculate it, I’d likely discover I spent the better part of my adolescence behind a giant Dell computer screen making fictional families comprised of me, my school crushes and lots of children with my favorite names at the time – Juliet, Katarina, Trevor, etc.
I’d build extravagant houses and paint all of the walls hot pink and lime green and fill the backyard with like 6 hot tubs. My character’s career path was ALWAYS music and I mastered the guitar in like 3 days and painted in my spare time. I always made my husband (better known as my 7th grade flavor of the week) a doctor and when, in real life, I decided I was totally over him and/or he got a girlfriend (more likely the case), I would make him cheat on me in the game so I could slap him and kick him out. Learning healthy relationship skills from the jump.
The best was when I’d get bored with a family so I’d put them all in the house, remove the doors and watch them go nuts.
Time: 2 hours (prep + cooking) | Serves: 1 pizza
- 2 lbs of figs, ends trimmed + sliced thin
- 1 1/2 cup of sugar
- 1/2 cup of lemon juice
- 1 pizza crust
- 2 cups of arugula
- 1 onion, sliced thin
- 1 tbsp. of olive oil
- S+P, to taste
- In a bowl, combine figs + sugar, coat + let sit for 15 minutes, stirring occassionally
- Transfer figs to a pot + add lemon juice + 1 cup of water, bring to a boil
- Turn heat down a bit, let simmer for 40-45 minutes, until jam is sticky + runny to your desire
- If you want chunks, leave as is, if not, turn off heat + blend with an immersion blender
- Transfer to a mason jar + refrigerate
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 400 + heat olive oil in a skillet over medium heat
- Add onion slice + S+P, let caramelize for 8-10 minutes, remove from pan
- On a pizza crust, spread some jam + top with onion
- Bake for 10 minutes or until crisp to your desire
- Top with arugula + serve warm
- Put a slice atop your head + run into the streets chanting “I gotta pizza on my head, but don’t call me a pizza head”
Fig jam adapted from here!