I often wonder what it would be like to not be a spoiled brat.
My mother visited this weekend. With her, she brought her unwavering generosity and obsessive compulsive cleaning disorder.
As an only child, I am often inundated with parental affection of which I am unable to function without. My mother shows affection in several ways, one of which being buying me incredible amounts of crap. We were leaving a store after cleaning them out and I was like, “OK, ma, that’s enough, you’ve done enough, thank you.” She literally turned to me and said, “I can do more,” and bought me some new barstools.
I spent so much time prepping for her arrival. I’m talking DAYS worth of cleaning, scrubbing, dusting, mopping, etc. Deep down I knew, though, that she wouldn’t be able to resist cleaning my house herself or politely showing me the proper way to clean something. I even told her this before she arrived. She was all, “OMG, I cannot believe you would think that, I am not spending my vaca cleaning your house!” Within hours, that woman was up in here windexing EVERY surface. She went through two rolls of paper towels in three days and I woke up each morning to find her rearranging my furniture and asking things like, “Are you sure you want that vase there…..?”
I want to be just like her as a mom minus the paper towel wasting habit.
Time: 1 hour (prep + cooking) | Serves: 10-12 peppers
- 10-12 poblano peppers
- 2 cups of cooked brown rice
- 1 large sweet potato, chopped
- 1 can of pinto beans, rinsed + drained
- 1 onion, diced
- 3 tbsp. of garlic, minced
- 1 lil can of green chiles
- 1 avocado
- 1/2 cup of cilantro (I used the stems, too)
- 3 tbsp. of olive oil
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1 tbsp. of cumin
- 1 tsp. of chili powder
- S+P, to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- In a bowl, combine sweet potatoes + 1 tbsp. of olive oil + S+P
- Arrange on lined baking sheet
- On another baking sheet, place peppers
- Roast all for 20 minutes, tossing/turning both in the middle of cooking
- Meanwhile, combine avocado + cilantro + 2 tbsp. of garlic + 1 tbsp. of olive oil + lime juice + 1/2 cup of water + S+P in a food processor + pulse until smooth, set aside
- In a skillet, heat remaining olive oil over medium heat
- Add onion + S+P, cook 3-4 minutes
- Add garlic, cook another minute
- Add green chiles, cook another 1-2 minutes
- Add rice + beans + cumin + chili powder + S+P, cook another 3-4 minutes
- Fold in the sweet potatoes
- Remove skins from cooled peppers + chop off their tops + remove the seeds
- Stuff em with your rice + bean + tater mix
- Arrange on a baking sheet + roast 5-10 minutes
- Serve warm with avocado + cilantro sauce
- Squeeze pepper contents onto head + pretend you are in a music video dancing in the rain of pepper insides
Idea from here!