I don’t consider myself super vain.
Just, like, a normal amount of vain.
So this afternoon, when I discovered a glistening gray hair atop my head, my meltdown was only like an 8/10.
I’m only 27, I have barely even lived! I simply don’t have the required wisdom to rock the salt and pepper look. I only recently came to grips with the mousy brown ‘do I’ve sported my entire life, it’s too soon for a change! I’m always in awe of women who rock their gray – they are always so gorgeous and confident and I idealize them. I want to be them one day. That day is just not today. I’m also not really interested in dying my hair. Can I dye a single strand? It legit looks like a silver Christmas tassle dangling from my noggin. I just don’t know what could have caused this. My diet and exercise haven’t changed and I have been in a perpetual state of crippling anxiety for 10 years now, so I can’t blame it on an increase in stress. Perhaps it’s time I come to grips with my mortality and embrace my old age.
Specifically, I look most forward to finally receiving the early bird specials at my favorite chain restaurants.
Time: 1 hour (prep + cooking) | Serves: 3-4
- 1 cup of barley
- 1 lb. of brussels sprouts, trimmed + halved
- 1 honey crisp apple, peeled + cut in small chunks
- 2 shallots, sliced thin
- 1 cup of edamame, cooked
- 1/4 cup of pumpkin seeds, toasted
- 1/4 cup of dried cranberries
- 1 tbsp. of agave
- 1 tsp. of smoked paprika
- 1/4 cup of balsamic vinegar
- S+P, to taste
- 2 tbsp. of olive oil
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- Cook barley according to package directions
- Arrange brussels sprouts on a lined baking sheet + drizzle with 1 tbsp. of olive oil + sprinkle with S+P, bake for 15 minutes, remove from oven, toss with agave + bake another 10 minutes
- Arrange apple + shallots on another lined baking sheet + drizzle with remaining olive oil + smoked paprika + S+P, bake 15 minutes, tossing once in the middle
- Meanwhile, reduce vinegar in a lil sauce pan
- To serve, combine barley + brussels + apples + shallots + edamame + pumpkin seeds + cranberries + stir with balsamic vinegar
- Serve warm or room temp
- Put baggiest sweater on + swaddle self in scarf, pour mug of hot tea + sit by a roaring fire with your sweetie, tossing brussels into one another’s pie holes