I ruin everything I touch.
At least all living things.
Why did I think I could have house plants? Why? I’ve no experience with horticulture. I can barely keep myself alive.
Everywhere I go, I see succulents and cacti. They are all the rage, as the kids like to say. For a while, I stuck with little fake ones. Joanna Gaines’ Target collection has been really inspirational to my living room. Somewhere along the way I got cocky. Fake succulents are kewl and all, but wouldn’t real ones really spice up this townhouse of ours? I dived in head first. I got a perfect little succulent and a yellow cactus man that looked similar to a prickly lollipop. I had this vision of creating a lil cactus oasis, so I planted them together in hopes they would be the best of friends and keep each other company. Apparently this is not OK? Dead within days. I even bought cactus soil! Next, I planted another succulent in an old candle holder. This one also died within days, but likely because I did not get out all of the candle wax due to my severe laziness?
I asked Garrett what other things I ruin when I touch them and he said lives. Not untrue.
Time: 1 hour (prep + cooking) | Serves: 4-6
- 2 cans of kidney beans, drained + rinsed
- 1 white onion, diced
- 1 medium carrot, chopped
- 1 habanero pepper, diced
- 2 tbsp. of garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp. of ginger, minced
- 2 cups of coconut milk
- 1 can of diced tomatoes
- Juice of 1/2 a lime
- 1 tbsp. of agave
- 1/2 tsp. of oregano
- 1/2 tsp. of allspice
- S+P, to taste
- 1 tbsp. of olive oil
- Green onion, for serving
- Avocado, for serving
- Heat oil in a stock pot over medium heat
- Add onion + S+P, cook for 3-4 minutes
- Add carrots + peppers, cook another 3 minutes
- Add garlic + ginger + S+P< cook another 1-2 minutes
- Add beans + coconut milk + tomatoes + lime juice + agave + oregano + allspice + S+P + about 2 cups of water, bring to a boil
- Reduce heat, cook uncovered for 15-20 minutes, taste + adjust seasoning
- Turn off heat + remove pot from heat
- Using an immersion blender, blend up alllllll that goodness until smooth + creamy
- Serve hot with green onion + avocado
Idea from here!