I did a bad thing.
Like, four years ago when I first started this whole thing, I posted a spaghetti squash recipe and pretended I liked it.
I lied to you. To all of you. It was heinous. The worst thing, to date, I’ve ever made, and certainly the worst I’ve ever fed another human. Garrett still talks about the spaghetti squash incident of 2014 with tears in his eyes.
I’ve literally not had this pasta imposter since. In fact, I’ve actively avoided it and told myself and others it is an overrated, garbage vegetable that should be boycotted at all costs. Then, I was at dinner the other night and my options were limited and I was forced to order a salad with crispy lil spaghetti squash noods on top and I DIDN’T HATE IT. Could it be the spaghetti squash is just a moody, misunderstood veg? Maybe spaghetti squash just prefers not to be stuffed with multiple cheeses & slimy, horrific artichokes (these I actually do detest). I don’t blame it, tbh. It could also be I actually have no idea what I’m doing in the kitchen 93.5% of the time.
Spaghetti squash & I have redeemed ourselves and this household is once again full of believers!
Time: 1.5 hours (prep + cooking) | Serves: 4
- 1 spaghetti squash, halved + de-seeded
- 2 cups of basil, rinsed
- 1/4 cup of walnuts
- 1/4 cup of nutritional yeast
- 1/2 cup of olive oil
- 2 tbsp. of garlic, minced
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 2 shallots, sliced thin
- 1 can of canellinni beans, rinsed + drained
- 2 cups of spinach
- 1 tbsp. of crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 tsp. of oregano
- S+P, to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- Place squash halves cut side up on a baking sheet
- Drizzle with 1 tbsp. of olive oil + some S+P
- Roast for 60 minutes
- Meanwhile, in a food processor, combine basil + walnuts + nutritional yeast + 1 tbsp. of garlic + juice if 1/2 a lemon + 1/4 cup of olive oil + S+P, process until smooth, refrigerate until ready to use
- Once squash is roasted + cooled, scrape out them noodles
- Heat remaining olive oil in a skillet over medium heat
- Add shallots + S+P, cook 3 minutes
- Add remaining garlic + crushed red pepper + oregano, cook another minute
- Add cannellini beans + S+P, cook another 3-4 minutes
- Add spinach + S+P, cook another 2 minutes
- Add squash noodles + pesto + juice of the other 1/2 lemon, cook for 2 minutes, turn off heat
- Slurp down a bowl of these bad boys + pour yourself another + keep ’em coming till you pass out