I just feel really seen.
Like, the people I surround myself with really just get me and accept me for who I am.
As confirmed at my BFF Christmas party during our traditional round of Secret Santa when I opened the most Rachel gift I ever could have dreamed of.
A hot pink karaoke microphone. Bazinga! Now that’s a thoughtful gift, I tell you. I’m not sure how I made it 27 years without one already. It’s just so daggum handy. We were watching music videos all evening and I was able to sing into my new microphone at a higher volume than my peers thereby drowning out their voices and letting me hear myself better. It obviously has bluetooth so I can play music through it and sing along to my favorite artists or, as intended, to instrumental versions of hits so I can really shine. For some reason, I don’t sound as good on Rehab when dueting with Amy Winehouse. It was also really useful on Christmas Eve when my family played this game where you had to say stupid phrases in equally stupid accents. The echo effect on the mic proved most helpful.
If your Christmas was half as pleasant as mine, you, my friend, are a lucky lil kitten.
Time: 1 hour (prep + cooking) | Serves: 3-4
- 1 lb. of brussels sprouts, ends trimmed + brussels halved
- 1/2 red onion, diced
- 1/2 small red cabbage, sliced thin
- 1 can of vegan refried beans
- Juice of 1 lime
- 2 tbsp. of hot sauce
- 1 tbsp. of agave
- 1 tbsp. of olive oil
- S+P, to taste
- Tortillas, for serving
- Cilantro, for serving
- Avocado, for serving
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- Arrange brussels sprouts on a lined baking sheet
- Drizzle with olive oil + hot sauce + some S+P
- Roast 15 minutes, remove + drizzle with agave, roast another 10-15 until crisp to your desire, remove
- Meanwhile, heat beans in a lil pot
- To serve, spread a couple of warm tortillas with some refried beans + fill with brussels sprouts + red onion + cabbage + top with cilantro + avocado + drizzle with lime juice
- Form taco boat with hand + sail these bad boys straight into hole in your face