Why, oh why, was I not born in the early 1800s to a wealthy English family?!
I think I could have really excelled.
But only if I had money. I wouldn’t survive if I had to slum it.
I went to a tea parlour this weekend with some girlfriends. My gosh, it was posh. This darling old lady waited on us wearing the most gorgeous apron I’ve ever seen. The whole place was decorated with these ornate paintings of British aristocrats. My people! We each had a pot of tea, served to us in these adorable tea pot coozies. Who knew such a happy thing existed in this world? Floral tea pot coozies! We ate scones and little biscuits (British for cookies, you wouldn’t understand) and just gabbed and sipped. In that moment, I felt I had truly found my calling. I am meant to be surrounded by beautiful things and delicate floral patterns and fine china and adorable little sugar cubes with equally adorable miniature sugar cube tongs. I now know I need at least three hours a day in the early afternoon for my tea time. Unfortunately, this is unacceptable in our heinous, overworked society.
I feel like the Bronte sisters are probably the only ones who get me.
Time: 1 hour (prep + cooking) | Serves: 4
- 2-3 cups of kale, washed
- 2-3 cups of romaine lettuce, washed + shredded
- 1/2 cup of kalamata olives, halved
- 1/2 cup of slivered almonds, toasted
- 1 english cucumber, quartered
- 2 cups of dry quinoa
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 tbsp. of garlic, minced
- 15 oz. can of crushed tomatoes
- 1 tsp. of italian seasoning
- 1 tsp. of paprika
- 2 tbsp. of white wine vinegar
- 1 tsp. of oregano
- Juice of 1/2 a lemon
- S+P, to taste
- 6 tbsp. of olive oil
- Cook the quinoa according to package directions, drain excess water
- Heat 1 tbsp. of olive oil in a skillet over medium heat
- Add onion + S+P, cook for 4-5 minutes
- Add garlic, cook another minute
- Add crushed tomatoes + italian seasoning + paprika + S+P
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat + simmer for 15 minutes
- Stir in quinoa + some S+P
- To make the dressing, whisk remaining olive oil with vinegar + oregano + lemon juice + some S+P
- To serve, combine kale + romaine + cucumber + olives + toasted almonds + quinoa sofrito + drizzle with dressing
- Serve chilled
Adapted from here!