What kind of person does it make me that my husband got me a bunch of cleaning supplies for my birthday?
Let’s back it up a bit. My bday was a month ago, but bub was gone and then I was traveling. Sadly, there’s been no time to celebrate the majestic birth of muah.
I came home Monday and our bed was piled high with birthday happies.
All of which are to aid in my second favorite hobby – cleaning the sanctuary that is my house. I got this microwave splatter helmet thing that we can use to cover up foods before we heat them so sauces and such don’t fly all willy nilly. GAME CHANGER. Then, I got these lil motorized brushes to scrub the caked on messes on the stove top. Woah nelly, where have these babies BEEN all my life?! Next came a brand new hand vacuum. Only one of the most convenient household tools in all of the world! This one with a longer lasting charge because DUH. Finally, this angry looking lil woman that you fill with vinegar & put it in the microwave to sanitize it. Like, OK, a thing I absolutely cannot live without. All to say, I have VERY big plans this weekend.
Oh, and to complete the kewl girl birthday of 2019, a night night mumu in a cactus print.
Time: 1 hour (prep + cooking) | Serves: 3-4
- 1 cup of grits, uncooked
- 1 package of tempeh, sliced in thin strips
- 1 head of cauliflower, cut in florets
- 1/2 lb. of brussels sprouts, halved
- 1 package of cremini mushrooms
- 1 bunch of kale, destemmed + roughly chopped
- 5 tbsp. of olive oil
- 1 tbsp. of soy sauce
- 1 tbsp. of agave
- 2 tsp. of liquid smoke
- 1 tsp. of hot sauce
- 1 tsp. of cumin
- 1 tsp. of chili powder
- 1 tsp. of crushed red pepper
- 1 tbsp. of nutritional yeast
- S+P, to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- In a bowl, combine kale + 1 tbsp. of olive oil + S+P, massage gently + set aside
- Arrange cauliflower + brussels on 1-2 lined baking sheets (depending on your sheets) + drizzle with 1-2 tbsp. of olive oil + some S+P
- Roast for 20 minutes, toss, roast another 15
- Meanwhile, whisk 1 tbsp. of olive oil + soy sauce + agave + liquid smoke + hot sauce + cumin + chili powder + some S+P
- Arrange tempeh in a flat, even layer + pour marinade on top, let sit for a few minutes
- Heat skillet over medium heat
- Add some tempeh slices, cooking for 3-4 minutes per side, remove + repeat with all slices
- Then, heat last bit of olive oil in that same skillet + add mushrooms + S+P, cook for 5-6 minutes
- Add kale + red pepper + S+P, cook another 3-4 minutes
- Meanwhile, cook grits to package directions, once done, stir in nutritional yeast
- To serve, pour some grits in a bowl + top with tempeh bacon + shroom/kale mix + some cauliflower + brussels sprouts
- Using hands, scoop up some of your food + catapult it at your sweetie, then just stay seated + calm + see what happens
One thought on “Grits Goodness Bowl”
Your husband is a brave man! 😀 Loving the bowl!