A thing I thoroughly enjoy is going to the movies.
I really only do it like once in a blue moon.
For one, it’s like $173 to catch a flick. For two, my husband hates going to the movies because it requires his full attention and complete stillness for two hours.
My dad knows this truth and uses it to his dark advantages. Using voodoo magic and witchcraft, he convinces me to go see John Wick 3 with him while I was home last week. Obviously this is not a storyline I’m remotely interested in, but I wanted the movie-going experience and the fellowship with my father. Seeing as the last two movies I’ve seen have been in local, nonprofit theaters, I was overwhelmed upon entering a real multiplex. The sights, the smells. It’s truly thrilling! Although we’d just consumed our weight in chips and salsa, pops insists on a cola and popcorn. I’m appalled at his appetite. I’m all, “How can you eat anything else?!” He’s all, “Oh, please. It’s a part of the experience! What would you like?” I’m like, “Eww I don’t want anything…..but if I did, I’d want some chocolate.” He steps up to the counter and orders a triple play – popcorn, soda and a candy. He turns to me and says it’s my job to choose the candy. I panic! The choices are practically endless. Nothing is vegan. The line behind me is growing. I scream, “BUNCHA CRUNCH!!!” I’ve never seen my dad more disappointed in me in my entire life.
Of course, I ate all of the nasty candy mixed with bites of popcorn (gotta have that salty & sweet bite, ya know) and I almost walked out of John Wick after he gouged a man’s eye out in the first 10 minutes.
Time: 40 minutes (prep + cooking) | Serves: 3-4
- 1 red onion, diced
- 2 tbsp. of garlic, minced
- 1 can of diced tomatoes
- 1 can of cannellini beans, rinsed + drained
- 1/2 cup of roasted red peppers, chopped
- 1 pint of grape tomatoes, halved
- 1 cup of spinach, packed
- 2 tbsp. of capers, drained
- 1/2 cup of basil, chiffonaded
- 1 cup of quinoa, cooked
- 1 tbsp. of olive oil
- 1 tsp. of crushed red pepper
- S+P, to taste
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat
- Add onion + S+P, cook 3-4 minutes
- Add garlic, cook another minute
- Add the beans, cook for 5 minutes
- Add the diced tomatoes, bring to a simmer, reduce heat back to medium
- Stir in peppers + tomatoes + capers, simmer another 5 minutes
- Add spinach + basil + crushed red pepper + S+P, simmer 2 more minutes
- Turn off heat + stir in cooked quinoa
- Serve warm (or chilled – tastes great the next day)
- Using a spoon as your slingshot, fling some of this food into your sweetie’s mouth + have him/her return the favor until you’re both fat + happy + covered in food
Adapted from here!