A thing I excel at is karaoke.
And just generally being the life of the party.
This last statement is false except when I am surrounded by all of my friends in a foreign land like I was this weekend.
If you consider Boston a foreign land, that is. A dear friend got married this weekend and like 15 of our closest pals descended on MA for the affair. It’s a rare occasion that we all get together considering jobs, families, spouses, babies, life, bills, etc. I cannot even put into the words the fun that was had, but I will try by summarizing our first night: We end up at a hole in the wall pub that all of the girls are like umm is this going to be OK, not sure about this aesthetic. We walk in and this place is BUMPING, man. It is THE place for young professionals on a Thursday after work. They have a jukebox playing Who Let The Dogs Out and other similar classics. Since we’re grooving so hard, we get the brilliant idea to karaoke…….at 7:30pm. Lucky us there’s a karaoke bar around the corner. We sang probably 16 of the 20 songs that were performed while we were there – everything ranging from Tina Turner to Dashboard Confessional, really impressing the crowd with our range. Of course, I concluded the evening with an Adele solo, as I do.
I left my voice in Boston and now sound like an 80-year-old chain smoker.
Time: 45 minutes (prep + cooking) | Serves: 3-4
- 1 loaf of whole wheat sourdough, cut in cubes
- 4 ears of corn, shucked
- 1 avocado, diced
- 1 pint of cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 jalapeno, diced
- 1 red pepper, diced
- 1/4 cup of basil, chiffonaded
- 4 tbsp. of olive oil
- 3 tbsp. of red wine vinegar
- 1 tsp. of dijon mustard
- 1 shallot, diced
- 1 tbsp. of garlic, minced
- S+P, to taste
- Lime, for serving
- Preheat oven to 350
- Toss bread with 1 tbsp. of olive oil + some S+P
- Arrange in an even layer on a lined baking sheet, bake about 10 minutes or until toasted to your desire
- Meanwhile, combine remaining olive oil + vinegar + mustard + shallot + garlic + S+P
- In a big bowl, combine corn + avocado + tomatoes + jalapeno + red pepper + basil + S+P, toss to coat
- Add bread + dressing, toss to coat + serve with lime
- Find a comfy chaise lounge to retire on and hire some cabana boys to spoon feed you this while simultaneously fanning you
Dressing from here!