I have a thing with sushi.
And not in the normal, upper middle class female sort of way. Like, I can’t handle it.
Don’t get me wrong. I used to love it. There is this fried sushi roll at this basic as heck place in Memphis that I used to TEAR UP.
Right when we got to WA, we searched for the best sushi in town and FOUND IT. It was so dope. One night we went out and ordered no joke $100 worth of sushi and just gorged until we puked. No, really, I puked it all up. There is something about seaweed coming back up that just turns you off, ya know?? Since then, I have avoided the little round delights like the plague. But I don’t want to live this way forever! I dream of a world where I’m able to enter my sketchy sushi place in Memphis, dine on a tornado roll and not gag. These bowls were a step in the right direction. One lil sheet of seaweed cut in tiny strips. I only avoided 82% of the strips as I ate these bowls…
And now I have four more sheets of the stuff & it gawks at me every time I open the pantry.
Time: 1 hour (prep + cooking) | Serves: 2-3
- 2 cups of brown rice
- 3 tbsp. of rice vinegar
- 2 tsp. of soy sauce
- 1 tbsp. of agave
- 1 sheet of nori (seaweed)
- 2 cups of edamame, cooked
- 1 carrot, shredded with a veggie peeled
- 1/2 an english cucumber, cut into matchsticks
- 1 avocado, sliced thin
- 1 tbsp. of vegan mayo
- 1/2 a tbsp. of sriracha
- Cook rice according to package directions
- Meanwhile, heat rice vinegar + soy sauce + agave in a lil sauce pan over medium heat + cook until agave is dissolved
- As rice is almost done cooking, add in vinegar mix + finish cooking
- Meanwhile, combine mayo + sriracha + refrigerate until you’re ready to use
- Meanwhile, toast nori in a dry skillet over low-medium heat, flipping once after about 3 minutes, remove + crumble into lil bits
- To serve, put some rice in a bowl + top with nori bits + edamame + carrot + cucumber + avocado + some sriracha mayo, serve warm or chilled
- Mix all of that goodness up, grab a pair of chopsticks + count how many chopstick lifts it takes you to finish this meal, my guess is 163
Adapted from here!
6 thoughts on “Sushi Bowls”
Sushi is the shit all day every day.
LOL! Hi hunnybunny ❤
I respect it so much, I’m just ready to not be nauseous about it! I’ve missed you, boo boo!
Lemme know when you’ve eaten and enjoyed some Tomagoyaki. Then I’ll know you like sushi. I once made Musubi for a Hawaiian themed New Years party. Spam, rice, nori. It aint traditional Japanese but hey, it’s good enough for Hawaiians and was a big hit.
Going to try this ASAP 🙂
Thank you so much for sharing ❤
Sketchy places sometimes turn out the best eats in my opinion. Hope the sushi bowl fix gets you back in the sushi game for good.
You are so right, Scrappy! Sketchy places for life!