Shopping is an activity I detest.
Unless I’m with my mother and she’s paying, of course.
But honestly moms just have this innate skill that the Lord infuses in them the moment they conceive. They can choose clothes for their daughter that said daughter would never pick out herself and they turn out to be the daughter’s very favorite clothes.
I’m simply lost without her shopping guidance. I spent three hours shopping for a dress this weekend. Three hours of my life I could have spent doing 1.8 million other things like bingeing a show, reading a book, exploring a new hobby, learning a new language, working on my excel spreadsheet of America’s top airports, etc. I went to NO JOKE 11 stores. Everything was either a frumpy sack on me or $300. I needed Susan there to dig through the sale bins & pull out the gem among the rocks. And isn’t it the MOST typical that I was shopping v specifically for a dress, so the world conspired against me to put nothing but adorable sweaters in my path? It’s cruel and unusual!
So, the next best thing – I made her online shop for me & ordered a dress she picked out. Boom.
Time: 1 hour (prep + cooking) | Serves: 3-4
- 5-6 cups of arugula
- 1 eggplant, peeled + cut into cubes
- 1 cup of panko breadcrumbs
- 1 tbsp. of flax meal
- 1 cup of spinach
- 1/4 cup of basil leaves
- 1/2 cup of pumpkin seeds
- 2 tbsp. of nutritional yeast
- 1 tbsp. of garlic, minced
- 1 cup of quinoa, cooked
- 1 orange, cut into lil pieces
- 1/2 cup of kalamata olives, cut in half
- 1 shallot, sliced thin
- 1/2 cup + 1 tbsp. of olive oil
- 1 tsp. of crushed red pepper
- S+P, to taste
- Place eggplant cubes in a colander + sprinkle with some S, coating on the lil cubes – let water release + drain for about 30 minutes
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- In a food processor, combine spinach + 1 cup of aurugla + basil + pumpkin seeds + nutritional yeast + garlic + S+P, process on low + slowly add in 1/2 cup of olive oil until well combined, refrigerate until ready to serve
- Add flax meal + 1/2 cup of warm water to a bowl, set aside for a few minutes + add breadcrumbs to another bowl, add red pepper + some S+P to it
- Pat dry the eggplant cubes, then a few cubes at a time, dip into flax egg bowl + then breadcrumbs, place on a lined baking sheet
- Bake for 35-40 minutes, tossing once in the middle of cooking
- Meanwhile, heat remaining olive oil in a lil skillet over medium heat
- Add shallot + S+P, cook for 4-5 minutes
- To serve, arrange some arugula on a plate + top with eggplant + quinoa + orange + olives + shallots + pesto
- Get a bite of every lil component on your fork + do the same for your sweetie + wrap your arms around each other like you would with champagne + then feed each other until your arms fall asleep