I have been run over by a truck.
At least that’s what it feels like.
All of our family was just in town. AND I MEAN ALL OF OUR FAMILY.
Don’t get me wrong, I loved every second of it and wish I could live next door to all of these humans for the rest of my life, but I’m plumb exhausted from entertaining! Choosing dinner locales, coordinating schedules, shopping at the local boutiques and having people spoil me, it just takes a lot out of you! Really, we loved showing everyone around where we live and introducing them all to our pals, but I think I ate at “the” breakfast spot in town more times in the last week than in the entire 1.5 years we have lived here. Another high note – they were all here to celebrate Garr and his work accomplishments, so I liked hanging on his arm and testing various conversation topics and pleasantries I’ll one day use as First Lady.
Visit capped off with my dad falling down our stairs & possibly breaking some toes & now he keeps threatening to sue us.
Time: 1 hour (prep + cooking) | Serves: 3-4
- 1 can of chickpeas, rinsed + drained
- 4 hearts of palm, roughly chopped
- 1 celery stalk, roughly chopped
- 1 jalapeno, diced
- 1 cup of panko breadcrumbs
- 1 tbsp. of garlic, minced
- 1 pint of grape tomatoes, halved
- 2 ears of fresh corn, shucked
- 1 cup of frozen lima beans
- 1/2 cup of roasted red peppers
- 5 tbsp. of olive oil
- 2 tsp. of smoked paprika
- 2 tsp. of garlic powder
- 2 tsp. of onion powder
- 2 tsp. of lemon pepper
- S+P, to taste
- In a food processor, combine chickpeas + celery + jalapeno + 1/2 the breadcrumbs + 1/2 the smoked paprika + 1/2 the garlic powder + 1/2 onion powder + 1/2 lemon pepper + S+P, pulse until well combined
- Add mix to a bowl + add chopped hearts of palm + some more S+P, combine well
- Add remaining breadcrumbs to a lil bowl
- Heat 2 tbsp. of olive oil a skillet over medium heat
- Form chickpea mix into 8 or so patties, dredge in breadcrumbs + add to skillet about 3-4 at a time, cooking for 3-5 minutes per side
- Once cooked, add 1 tbsp. of olive oil to the skillet over medium heat
- Add tomatoes + corn + lima beans + remaining smoked paprika + garlic powder + onion powder + lemon pepper + S+P, cook 7-8 minutes
- Meanwhile, add roasted red peppers + garlic + remaining olive oil + S+P to a food processor + process until smooth
- Serve warm cakes on top of succotash with red pepper sauce drizzled on top
- Make a lil cakey succotash sammie by spreading some sauce on a cake + topping with succotash + placing another cake on top – bite into that sucker like a ham + cheese on white bread!
Idea from here!