A place I thrive is our nation’s capital.
I spent the long weekend gallivanting around one of my top 3 fave cities and I feel energized and refreshed!
If only the U.S. Army 10-Miler didn’t get in the way of my itinerary!
Obvio I did not run the race, I’m not a masochist, but I did do an exceptionally good job of spectating and just generally being uber supportive of my athletic husband. To make the race, we had to catch the metro bright and early. Catching the DC metro is one of my top 5 favorite activities so this was invigorating for me, though I would have preferred not to be wearing athleisure at the time, but I digress. We ride the escalator down to our platform & it is packed like a can of sardines (a saying I don’t love). Stranger’s bodies are just pressed too closely together, it’s terrible. We squeeze our way in and watch the escalator as more bodies arrive. Eventually the escalator is overwhelmed & people are stuck & there is some mild trampling. It was all very dramatic. The train finally came and people were squeezing in so tight the doors barely closed. If I hadn’t been trying to act like a local who was appalled by the throngs of people who didn’t know how to act riding public transit, I would have absolutely had a panic attack.
I was rewarded for my positive attitude with copious amounts of falafel and an evening at a piano bar singing Elton John and swaying in a dimly lit corner.
Time: Overnight marinating + 1 hour cooking | Serves: 2-3
- 3 zucchini, halved lengthwise + pitted
- 1 package of tempeh, cut in cubes
- 1/2 cup of soy sauce
- 1 tbsp. of dijon mustard
- 2 tbsp. of lemon juice
- 2 tbsp. + 1 tsp. of garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp. of smoked paprika
- 1 tbsp. of chili powder
- 1/2 lb. of shiitake mushrooms, roughly chopped
- 1 tbsp. of garlic powder
- 1 tomato off the vine, sliced thin
- 1/2 a red onion, sliced thin
- 1 avocado, mashed
- 1/4 cup of balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbsp. of agave
- 1/4 cup + 1 tbsp. of olive oil
- S+P, to taste
- In a bowl, combine 1/4 cup of soy sauce + 1 tbsp. of lemon juice + 1 tbsp. of garlic + 1 tbsp. of smoked paprika + chile powder
- Place zucchini halves in a big sealable bag + pour in soy sauce mix
- Refrigerate overnight
- In the morning, combine remaining soy sauce + dijon + 1 tbsp. of garlic in a lil bowl
- Add tempeh + let marinate for a few
- Meanwhile, combine mushrooms + garlic powder + remaining smoked paprika in a large bowl
- Heat 1 tbsp. of olive oil in a skillet over medium heat
- Add tempeh + cook for 6-7 minutes or until starting to crisp
- Add mushrooms, cook another 4-5 minutes
- Meanwhile, combine balsamic + agave + 1 tsp. of garlic + olive oil + S+P in a lil bowl’
- To serve, spread some avocado inside one of each of the zucchini halves + top with S+P, top with tempeh/mushroom mix + tomatoes + onion + drizzle with balsamic + top with other zucchini half
- Please try to pick up one of these bad boys + actually eat it like a sammie + see how much food you get all over your face
4 thoughts on “Zucchini Sammies”
Very interesting, I dint think I’ve ever seen a zucchini sandwich. Thanks for sharing.
These look so good.
LikeLiked by 1 person
Delicious and colorful 🙂
LikeLiked by 1 person
Isn’t zucchini the most amazing and versatile vegetable?! 🥒