I think I’ve finally decided what to give up for Lent.
I know you were all really concerned with how I’d be recognizing the lenten season, and the wait is over.
I’m giving up music.
Doesn’t that sound BLEAK?! Have no fear. I’m not giving up all music, just everything other than Christian music. That might still sound bleak to some of you… but I love my Jesus jams! I’m going to go 6 weeks without playing other tunes – no emo, crying music, no Rachel’s Trax playlist on Spotify (complete with all the songs that make me so emotional they literally stop me in my Trax, get it?!?!), none of my mixed CDs from 2013, nothing! Obviously, I can’t avoid other music all together. I’d be thrown out of establishments if I ran around with my ears plugged, screaming “LA LA LA, I DON’T HEAR YOU!!!!” But when I have a choice, ya girl is rocking out to Jesus.
Taylor Swift picked a really inopportune time to release a new music video.
Time: 1 hour ( prep + cooking) | Serves: 4-5
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 lb. of sweet potatoes, peeled + chopped
- 1 beefsteak tomato, chopped
- 1 tbsp. of fresh ginger, minced
- 2 tbsp. of garlic, minced
- 1 can of chickpeas, rinsed + drained
- 1/2 cup of creamy peanut butter
- 1 tbsp. of chili powder
- 1 tbsp. of cumin
- 1 tbsp. of smoked paprika
- 3 cups of vegetable broth
- 2 cups of spinach leaves
- 1 lime
- 1/4 cup of cilantro + more for serving
- S+P, to taste
- 1 tbsp. of olive oil
- 1 cup of cooked brown rice, for serving
- Heat olive oil in a stockpot over medium heat
- Add onion + S+P, cook 4-5 minutes
- Add bell pepper, cook another 2-3 minutes
- Add garlic + ginger, cook another minute
- Add sweet potatoes + tomatoes + S+P, coat + cook another 5 minutes
- Add peanut butter + chili powder + cumin + smoked paprika, stir until everything combined
- Add broth, cover + bring to a boil
- Lower heat to a simmer + add chickpeas, cover + simmer for 25 minutes
- Turn off heat + add in spinach + cilantro + juice of 1/2 the lime
- Serve warm over brown rice with more cilantro + lime wedges
- Stir it all up + do a cannon ball into the smack dab middle
Adapted from here!