Well, Topanga’s birthday party was a SMASHING success.
No, literally, she smashed her pupcake and promptly fell asleep in her party dress.
The real MVP of the party was Garrett, though.
He spent two hours blowing up hot pink balloons and hanging doggy decorations. And he only complained like 2 times! It was all worth it, though. I’m sorry, I couldn’t NOT buy rose gold balloons that spelled “LETS PAWTY,” ya know? Then, Garr grilled all the meats and served dinner to our guests. He sat through SEVERAL rounds of What Do You Meme? and Catchphrase. If you didn’t know, Garr is a BIG game guy. NAHT. Then, I was feeling extra lazy and just wanted to lounge on the couch and gab with my pals, and that boy cleaned up the whole daggum kitchen, dishes and all. He’s basically my very own, perfect yenta.
AND he brings home the bacon, best of both worlds!
Time: 3 hours (prep + cooking) | Serves: 4-6
- 1/2 lb. of black beans, soaked overnight + drained
- 1 white onion, chopped
- 1/2 a green bell pepper, chopped
- 2 tbsp. of garlic, minced
- 1 tsp. of oregano
- 1 tbsp. of cumin
- 1 tbsp.
- 1 28oz. can of whole, peeled tomatoes
- 1 1/2 cups basmati rice
- 2 cups of vegetable broth
- 2 limes
- 2 tbsp. of olive oil
- S+P, to taste
- Cilantro, for serving
- In a large stock pot, bring beans + 1/2 the onion + all the green pepper + 1 tbsp. of garlic + oregano + 1/2 the cumin + S+P + 4-6 cups of water, enough to cover everything, to a boil
- Reduce heat, cover + cook for 2 hours, stirring often, until tender. Add more water as necessary to keep the beans covered
- Meanwhile, place tomatoes + remaining onion in a food processor + blend until smooth
- Transfer to a sauce pan + add broth + remaining cumin + S+P, bring to a boil
- Meanwhile, heat olive oil in a bigger sauce pan over medium heat
- Add rice + toast, stirring for about 5 minutes
- Add remaining garlic + cook another minute
- Pour boiling tomato mixture into rice pan, stir + cook until rice is tender, 30-40 minutes
- When both rice + beans are tender, add the juice of a lime to each + some cilantro
- To serve, put some rice in a bowl + top with beans, sprinkle with more cilantro + serve with lime wedges
- Go to town on it + get ready for some mega toots tonight!
2 thoughts on “Homemade Black Beans + Rice”
A winning combo, that’s for sure. 😋🌿