I wish you all could be in my kitchen with me on blog meal making days.
My husband would strongly advise against it, but I think it would really give you a glimpse at the real ~me~.
It’s basically just a lot of organized chaos minus any semblance of organization.
I’m such a neat and tidy person in all other areas of my life. But when the weekend rolls around and I step into my kitchen ready to do WORK, all rules fly out the window. First of all, I look reallllyyyyy cute while cooking. My best sweats are on, hair on top of my head, and I’ve found wiping food on my clothes vs. a rag or paper towel is highly efficient and better for the environment. Beyond that, there is food on every surface, cutting boards all over the place, pots & pans are bubbling and occasionally overflowing, and a perfect trail of crumbs will lead you from the kitchen to my photo station every daggum time. I’m a monster! There is no such thing as cleaning as you go in these circumstances. It’s all about survival. Garrett has literally had to start busying himself while I’m working on recipes. Like, leave the house. He cannot handle the leaning tower of dirty dishes I construct in record breaking times.
Once it’s safe for Garrett to return home, I always tell him what I’ve made and without fail his response is, “OMG, that sounds disgusting, when can I put it in my mouth?”
Time: 2 hours (prep + cooking) | Serves: 4
- 1 cup of dry lentils, rinsed
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 carrot, peeled + sliced thin
- 2 celery sticks, sliced thin
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 2 tbsp. of garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup of breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup of rolled oats
- 2 tbsp. of tomato paste
- 1 tbsp. of BBQ sauce
- 1 tbsp. of soy sauce
- 2 tbsp. of fresh parsley
- 1 tbsp. of crushed red pepper
- 1 tsp. of cumin
- 1 tsp. of oregano
- 1 tsp. of ranch seasoning
- 1 tsp. of chipotle chili powder
- S+P, to taste
- 1 tbsp. of olive oil
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Cook lentils according to package directions, drain
- Meanwhile, heat olive oil in a skillet over medium heat
- Add onion + S+P, cook 3-4 minutes
- Add garlic, cook another minute
- Add carrots + celery + red bell pepper + S+P, cook another 4-5 minutes
- In a food processor, combine lentils + sauteed veggies + breadcrumbs + oats + tomato paste + BBQ sauce + soy sauce + parsley + crushed red pepper + cumin + oregano + ranch seasoning + chipotle chili powder, process until well combined
- Spray a loaf pan with nonstick seasoning
- Spread your lentil mix in an even layer in the loaf pan
- Bake 40 minutes
- Spread with some ketchup + bake for another 10 minutes
- Serve hot w/ favie sides
- If feeling full of sorrow, feel empowered to drown them in as many helpings of lentil loaf it takes to feel happy + whole
Recipe adapted from here!