It’s still over a month away yet here I sit stressed about Christmas.
It’s not supposed to be this way. I should be focused on the birth of our Lord and Savior! The many blessings the year has brought me! The New Year’s resolutions I will certainly not keep!
Instead I am left wrestling with answers to the dreaded question, “What do you want for Christmas?”
To be left alone, honestly. Seriously, it’s so stressful coming up with random things I want others to purchase for me and then wrap and hold onto until 12/25. If I want something, I typically weight the pros and cons, research the best deals, find a coupon code, put it in my cart and then talk myself out of it. I like this process, I’m comfortable with it, it makes sense to me. Why organize a Christmas list? Let’s just spend time together and sing carols and string popcorn on trees like the olden days. But I am an acquiescent child. I put together a list, I checked it twice, I sent it it to my parents and husband. I thought I was really doing them a favor, too. Look, here are some ideas you unimaginative shoppers. Know what I get in return? “That’s a really long list.” K. I’m out.
Garrett also said, “Wow, I started a list for you too and it has none of this stuff on it.” He knows me so well.
Time: 1 hour (prep + cooking) | Serves: 3-4 sandwiches
- 1 package of tempeh, sliced thin
- 1 onion, sliced thin
- 1 green pepper, sliced thin
- 1/4 cup of soy sauce + 2 tbsp.
- 1 tbsp. of dijon mustard
- 2 tbsp. of garlic, minced
- 1 sweet potato, cubed
- 1/4 cup of full-fat coconut milk
- 3 tbsp. of nutritional yeast
- 2 tbsp. of lemon juice
- 1 tbsp. of sriracha
- 5 tbsp. of olive oil
- 1 tsp. of garlic powder
- 1 tbsp. of paprika
- S+P, to taste
- Crusty french bread, for serving
- In a bowl, combine 1/4 cup of soy sauce + dijon + 1 tbsp. of garlic + 1 tbsp. of olive oil
- Add tempeh slices, coat in the soy sauce mix + set aside
- Add sweet potato to a sauce pan + add water + bring to a boil
- Lower heat + simmer for 15 minutes, drain + let cool
- Add sweet potato + remaining soy sauce + coconut milk + nutritional yeast + lemon juice + sriracha + 3 tbsp. of olive oil + garlic powder + S+P to a food processor + pulse until smooth, set aside
- Heat a skillet over medium heat
- Add tempeh + sauce it marinated in, cook for 6-7 minutes, until crisp + browned to your liking
- Remove from the pan
- Add remaining olive oil
- Add onion + S+P, cook 3-4 minutes
- Add garlic, cook another minute
- Add green peppers, cook another 3-4 minutes
- Add tempeh + paprika, cook another 2-3 minutes
- To serve, place some tempeh mix into your crusty bread + top with cheese sauce
Adapted from here!