It’s a sad day when you realize your idea of fun is traveling an hour to the Trader Joe’s.
That’s how we spent our Saturday. The first Saturday we had BIG plans in weeks.
It was amazing.
We started the day off with a nice brunch in Raleigh. I found a place that serves $1 mimomas and has a buffet that’s included with your entree. OK, this sounds like a Ruby Tuesdays, but I promise it was pretty legit and economical! Then we did some major damage up in the TJ’s. I mean, we come prepared. We literally pack an ice chest so I can stock up on frozen things and produce…. we’re sane, we know. We ended our Saturday adventure at the most super duper Target I have ever seen. It had a DELI. Like, nice folks ready to slice me up some ham. At the Target! I’ve dreamed about this before, but never thought it would actually happen for me.
I have nothing going for me, I realize this.
Time: 1 1/2 hours (prep + cooking) | Serves: 2 boats!
- 2 spaghetti squash, halved + de-seeded
- 1 red onion, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 jalapeno, diced
- 1 can of black beans, rinsed + drained
- 1 cup of frozen corn
- 3 tbsp. of olive oil
- 1 tsp. of cumin
- 1 tsp. of chili powder
- 1/2 tsp. of smoked paprika
- S+P, to taste
- 1 lime
- Red cabbage, for serving
- Cilantro, for serving
- Preheat oven to 375
- Drizzle 1 tbsp. of olive oil in each spaghetti squash + add some S+P
- Roast, halved side down, for 45 minutes
- Meanwhile, heat remaining olive oil in a skillet over medium heat
- Add red onion + S+P, cook 3-4 minutes
- Add red pepper + jalapeno, cook another 3 minutes
- Add beans + cumin + chili powder + smoked paprika + S+P, cook another 4-5 minutes
- Add corn + juice of 1/2 the lime, cook another 3-4 minutes
- Once squash is cooled, using a fork, start loosening up some of the noods
- Top with bean mix + cabbage + cilantro + serve with lime wedges
- Twirl up some noods + goodness + enjoy your luxury vacation in your spaghetti squash boat!
Adapted from here!