I was born in the wrong era.
I think I would excel in, like, the 50’s.
I went to a Leon Bridges concert this weekend. *SwOoN* That old-timey, doo-woppie music speaks to a part of my soul that is buried deep beneath a love of indie folk & Kelly Clarkson.
I want to go to a sock hop in a hot pink poodle skirt with lil bobby socks and saddle oxfords on. Afterwards, I want to hit up the local soda shop & sip on a root beer float. I would like Garrett to wear a little letterman cardigan & ask me to go steady by giving me his class ring. He would also drive a red ’57 Chevy and we’d go to the drive-in and he’d try to put his arm around me during the flick. *Gasp*
Holla at your girl if you have a time machine I can borrow.
Time: 1 hour (prep + cooking) | Serves: About 16 pieces of cornbread
- 1 cup of all-purpose flour
- 1 cup of yellow cornmeal
- 1/2 tsp. of baking soda
- Pinch of salt
- 1 cup of skim milk
- 1/2 cup of butter, melted
- 1/2 cup of sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tbsp. of honey
- 2 jalapenos, diced
- 1/2 cup of cheddar cheese, shredded
- Cilantro, for serving
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees
- In a bowl, combine flour + cornmeal + baking soda + salt
- In another bowl, combine milk + butter + sugar + eggs + honey
- Pour wet ingredients into dry + combine
- Fold in jalapenos + cheddar
- Pour batter into a greased baking pan
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown + a toothpick comes out clean
- Serve warm with cilantro
- Shove 8 pieces into your pie hole + slowly fall into a cornbread coma
Idea from here!
I had different plans for my life.
I was going to be someone else, do something else, live somewhere else, wear different things and have like 1.4 billion more dollars than I do now.
If I had things my way, I’d be a member of the Pussycat Dolls and have two Oscars by now. I’d have a contract with Oreo and Leo would know all of my deepest, darkest secrets and guard them with his life and heart. I’d probably have my own Vegas show on the stage in between Britney & Celine.
God had a bigger plan for me, though. He continues to reveal that His plans are always better than my own. I love seeing how He has intimately orchestrated every event of my life to lead me where He wants me to be. He always provides & never leaves my side. Like, I’m pleased He answered “No” to my prayer to become a Tony winner by age 18. He just knew better.
But I have faith He will use my killer hip hop moves & vocal range for good some day.
Time: 20 minutes (prep + cooking) | Serves: 3-4
- 2 ears of corn
- 1 pint of cherry tomatoes, rinsed + halved
- 1/4 cup of fresh basil, chiffonaded
- S+P, to taste
- Shuck the corn into a bowl
- Add tomatoes + basil + S+P
- Serve chilled + with chips
- Mash leftovers with fist + rub the remains into skin for an exfoliation like no other
I am a certified genius.
Like, I have brilliant ideas.
But I do my best thinking when I’m with my BFF, Cheryl. Something magical & slightly obnoxious happens when our brain power combines.
We spent a solid 48 hours together this weekend. After a couple of hours together our brain juices start working and the ideas just flow. Around hour 12 we decided to dress alike for the day & were reminiscent of a pair of toddler BFFs who love to hold hands everywhere they go. Hour 18 we decided to re-watch Parenthood and are giving ourselves 6 weeks to finish. Hour 36 we began executing our plan to bring back graphic tees. By hour 42, we were making these sandwiches & singing the A Walk To Remember soundtrack at the top of our lungs. Yet we still had time to plan a trip to Canada & solve all of the world’s economic problems.
Hour 27 we also ordered a large pizza at 11 p.m. & ate every bite in 13 minutes flat. I timed it.
Time: 1 hour + 30 minutes (prep + cooking) | Serves: 4 sandwiches + extra noodles
- 1 package of pasta shells
- 1/2 butternut squash, peeled + chopped
- 3/4 cup of raw cashews
- 1 cup of unsweetened almond milk
- 3 cloves of garlic (if you’re feeling wild, use roasted garlic cloves)
- 1 tbsp. of lemon juice
- 7 tbsp. of nutritional yeast
- 1/2 tsp. of dijon mustard
- 1/2 tsp. of italian seasoning
- 1/2 tsp. of turmeric
- 1 tsp. of paprika
- 1 tsp. of crushed red pepper (or more if you like spicy)
- 4 ciabatta bread rolls
- 1 head of roasted garlic
- 1 tbsp. of olive oil
- Vegan butter
- S+P, to taste
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Arrange butternut squash on a lined baking sheet + drizzle with olive oil + S+P
- Roast for 40 minutes
- Process cashews in a food processor
- Add in milk + garlic + lemon juice + nutritional yeast + dijon + italian seasoning + turmeric + paprika + crushed red pepper + S+P, process until smooth
- Add butternut squash + process until smooth
- Meanwhile, cook pasta to al dente, drain + add back to warm pot
- Stir in butternut sauce
- Rub a roasted garlic clove on each of your ciabatta buns
- Heat a tbsp. of vegan butter in a skillet over medium heat
- Butter the butts of each of your buns + lay one butter down in the pan
- Top with as many noodles as you can fit + place the other bun on top, cook for 3 minutes
- Flip + cook another 3 minutes
- Serve hot
- Grab the elastic waist pants + tuck in a bib it’s gonna be a wild ride
Butternut Mac recipe is from Oh She Glows!