I’ve been married for a half a year now. So I’m practically a licensed doctor of love.
The movies, the books, your parents were all right: marriage is stupid hard. Like, you choose this person to build a life with but you don’t REALLY realize that every detail of your existence now involves this other human. If he doesn’t want to do something, I have to maybe not do that thing… So selfish of him, I know, but true!
Like, the days of cute, dramatic arguments where you storm out of the house are long gone because you have to come back now…. Where is the DRAMA in marriage? I try to pick fights about him leaving his crap out, but then he’s like, “well your crap is out, too.” STOP IT I WANT TO SCREAM AT YOU JUST LET ME.
Marriage is also really fabulous, though. I never take the trash out & I barely drive anywhere. Plus, I married the sweetest man on planet earth who leaves me love notes every morning & gives me exactly 25 kisses before he leaves for work. I’m not bragging or anything, I’m just speaking truths.
& he says, “wow, this is really darn good” anytime I put a plate of food in front of him & that’s exactly the kind of validation I crave.
Time: 1 hour (prep + cooking) | Serves: 4
- 1.5 cups of arborio rice
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 tbsp. of garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup of dry white wine
- 4 cups of vegetable stock
- Bundle of asparagus, trimmed
- Juice + zest of 1/2 lemon
- Pinch of saffron threads
- 1/4 cup of parmesan cheese
- 2 tbsp. of olive oil
- S+P, to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- Spread asparagus in an even layer on a lined baking sheet
- Drizzle with a tbsp. olive oil + S+P
- Roast for 16-18 minutes
- Meanwhile, heat stock in a sauce pan over medium heat
- In a large stock pot, heat last tbsp. of olive oil over medium heat
- Add onion + S+P, cook for 3-4 minutes
- Add garlic, cook for another 1-2 minutes
- Turn heat to low-med, add arborio rice + coat with onions
- Add wine, let rice absorb, stirring often
- Add stock one ladle at a time, stirring often, until rice is tender, about 30-35 minutes
- Add saffron threads + S+P, cook for 3-4 minutes
- Add in asparagus + lemon + lemon zest + S+P, cook another 2 minutes
- Add cheese, cook another minute
- Serve hot with extra cheese
- Drown in any leftovers