I bet y’all can’t top my Memorial Day.
Yeah, yeah, you floated on a boat, got a tan, grilled some meats, OrIgInAl.
I, on the other hand, spent a verrryyyyyy productive few days scrapbooking and gardening.
Well, Garrett keeps telling me it’s not scrapbooking when you’re just putting photos into an album, but I say phooey! Potato, potato (this saying does not have the seem effect on the internet tbh). Every page has a specific theme and that takes time! Granted, so far the only theme is “Garrett & Rachel,” but I’m really liking the vision.
Gardening was fun. We spent $80 on flowers & as I was pushing the cart to the car, half of them fell out & were smushed – fun! I got them in the ground & Garrett only had to come behind me & fix like 80% of them.
No but seriously we really went all out each night of the long weekend by being asleep by 8:30 pm.
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 3 whole cloves
- 1 tsp. of ground anise
- 1 large white onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup of fresh ginger, chopped
- 1 tbsp. of garlic, minced
- 4 cups of vegetable broth
- 4 cups of water
- 3 tbsp. of soy sauce, + more for serving
- 1 package of rice noodles
- 6 oz. of crimini mushrooms, sliced
- 1 jalapeno, sliced thin
- 1/2 cup of green onion, sliced thin
- 1/4 cup of fresh basil leaves
- 1 lime
- 1 tbsp. of olive oil
- S+P, to taste
- Heat a large pot over medium heat
- Add cinnamon + cloves + anise, stir until fragrant about 3 minutes
- Add onion + ginger + garlic + broth + water + soy sauce, bring to a boil
- Reduce heat + simmer for 30 minutes
- Meanwhile, heat oil in skillet over medium heat
- Add mushrooms + S+P, cook for 5-6 minutes or until softened + browned
- Meanwhile, prepare your rice noodles according to package directions (whatever I had didn’t require any cooking – yeehaw!)
- Once broth has simmered, strain into another pot, leaving a smooth, chunk free broth
- Pour some in a bowl + add some noodles + mushrooms + jalapeno (if you like heat, but if you don’t, I’m sorry for you) + green onion + lime juice + basil
- Repeat with remaining ingredients
- Feel the broth course through your veins + become instantly nourished + energized + ready to run a marathon up a mountain in the rain
Adapted from here!