I have a confession to make. I don’t really know how to say this because as a human being it seems unnatural. I’m just going to come out & say it. Here it goes. I hate eggs.
Like, have to look away and plug my nose type of hate. I must be a mutant or something because everyone in the free world loves eggs.
It’s really tough out there for an egg hater but brunch lover. Like, look at any brunch menu in the world. Eggs benedict, omelettes, egg bakes, they’re just freaking everywhere. I don’t complain as long as the mimosas are flowing, though.
Unfortunately for me, I married a hunk who practically chugs raw eggs for breakfast. So after much trial & error, I’ve found I can tolerate egg whites in small doses.
This skillet satisfies both of our egg requirements. Plus, it’s full of bacon & potatoes & those two have been scientifically proven to solve all problems.
Time: 1 hour (prep + cooking) | Serves: 2 (if you’re chubby like us) Ingredients:
- 6-8 slices of bacon, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cups of potatoes, chopped (I leave skin on)
- 2 roasted red peppers, diced (roast your own people, it’s so easy & cheaper & smells good & is fun)
- 2 cups of arugula
- 6 egg whites
- 1/4 cup of parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 cup of mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1 tsp. of crushed red pepper
- 1 tbsp. of olive oil
- S+P, to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- In a cast iron skillet, heat olive oil over medium heat
- Add bacon pieces and cook until crisped to your desire, we like super crispy so about 8-10 minutes
- Add onion and cook until soft, about 2-3 minutes
- Remove bacon + onion to a paper towel lined plate
- Add potatoes + crushed red pepper + plenty of S+P to the skillet, stirring to coat in bacon goodness
- Make sure potatoes are in an even layer on the skillet & put in the oven, stirring occasionally, for 20 minutes
- Meanwhile, combine egg whites + parmesan + S+P in a small bowl
- Remove potatoes and add arugula, letting wilt slightly
- Add red peppers + bacon & onion mixture
- Pour egg white mixture evenly on top
- Sprinkle with mozzarella + S+P
- Pop back into oven until eggs are set & cheese is melted & slightly golden
- Devour immediately
Idea came from: http://www.seasonsandsuppers.ca/potato-bacon-cheese-frittata/
5 thoughts on “Bacon + Potato Breakfast Skillet”
Hi Rachel, thanks for popping by my blog! If it makes you fee better, my son can’t stand egg yolks no matter how they’re cooked, so you’re not the only one who has problems with brunch! This breakfast skillet sounds wonderful, but unfortunately he doesn’t eat potato either 😦 However my husband, who doesn’t eat any sort of scrambled/omelette/frittata style eggs might be persuaded to give it a go 🙂
Beck, I love hearing I’m not alone in the fight against eggs! 🙂 But no potatoes? I can’t really imagine…. Thank you for reading!
LikeLiked by 1 person
Don’t worry – Guy Fieri doesn’t like eggs either. I bet you’re glad you and Guy could be connected in this way 😉
There is no one I’d rather be culinary connected to than Guy Fieri. Hahahaha
Reblogged this on Someone's in the Kitchen and commented:
I can see this being a huge hit in our house…. we will be adding the whole egg 🙂