I’m transitioning to a vegan.
There is just so much to consider. My biggest dilemma being what do I substitute for my daily bagel and cream cheese schmear?! I can obvio keep the bagel, but what do I spread all over it? I don’t want peanut butter and I don’t want to make a weekly vat of vegan cream cheese, how daunting. Don’t even bother suggesting I eat it plain, I am not a monster.
Other considerations: skim milk to dunk my Oreos in, Chobani lime yogurt, cheese cubes, cheese slices, shredded cheese, melted cheese, the rice at my favie Mexican restaurant that is covered in cheese, delivery pizza, grilled cheese, butter, chocolate chip cookie dough ice cream, cheesy grits, cheesy potatoes, to name a few that come to mind.
Also, I told my dad this news and he said he’d rather I transition to a man than a vegan so I have a strong support system.
And now a non-vegan recipe lol:
Time: 3 hours (prep + cooking) | Serves: 4
- 2 cups of all-purpose flour
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 tsp. of sea salt
- 1 tbsp. of olive oil
- 5 tomatoes, peeled
- 3 tbsp. of garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup of fresh basil, chopped
- 2 tbsp. of olive oil
- 1 tsp. of crushed red pepper
- S+P, to taste
- 1/4 cup of parmigiano reggiano
- Combine flour + salt in a large bowl
- Make a well + add eggs to the center
- Mix dough
- Once dough is in a nice lil ball, move from bowl to a floured surface + knead until a smooth ball is formed
- Wrap in plastic wrap + set aside for 30 minutes-hour
- Roll out dough as thin as you can, if you have a pasta machine, whip it out you luckies!!!
- Once thin enough, cut into even strips
- Bring a pot of salted water to a boil
- Add the fresh noodles + cook for 3-4 minutes until al dente
- For sauce, add olive oil to a large pot over medium heat
- Add garlic, cook for 1-2 minutes
- Add tomatoes + S+P, simmer for an hour, uncovered
- Add basil + crushed red pepper, simmer for another hour, covered
- Transfer to a food processor + process until smooth
- Pour back in the pot, stir in cheese + adjust seasoning to taste
- Toss pasta with sauce + serve with extra basil + cheese
- Put on bib + eat with grubby mitts like your inner fussy toddler
Help came from these guys!